17 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

Not one to compare dogs to humans. But that's how the stayers look. Like Mo Farrah.. looks badly as fck.. but will run all day on a cup of rice.. 

Screenshot_20230530_210816_Google.jpg.c21928d0af4e0f6d3e26e437f05f8fd1.jpg

Then check a big sprinter out.. Big as fuk and will blow his load after 90 seconds.. gassed out!!.. Bit like me!!

Screenshot_20230530-211439.jpg.45ff1a5c6ab52586c5a0fe7057b22101.jpg

To be fair I’ve seen some well built dogs with plenty stamina, they don’t need to look half starved to have a bit of wind

• Like 2

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

4 months, around 21" and  11 kilos.  

it's just  travelled all the way from Spain (stressful for a young charge I should imagine ?)...give the man a chance to grub it up ?

All sight hounds have narrow heads, herding,guarding,working breeds have wide heads, you don't need brain room to see something and run after it and that's why there all as thick as shit.....

Posted Images

20 hours ago, mC HULL said:

a fit conditioned dog will show 3 -4 ribs mate 

a bad conditioned dog looks flat and has top spine showing near shoulders that pup don’t for me 

now tis thing about top spine showing, i was the same  as you in that thinking, both my 1xs  have show spine , old bryn was 60lb dog fit still knock few rabbits over at 10, lived till 14, big old Buck a 88 lb dog , old now but still quite strong animal who 11 in august  both showed top spine. i did ask my vet, who very good, proper country vet, knows what ive done with Buck, she say seen any smelly foxes lately , when she used to see me lol,. i asked about the spine thing, she said bryn was in good nick, and Buck as well, she said  under fed dog, be generally thin all over, alot of dogs can pull weight from the rib cage, and that show the spine more . me self 2 ribs showing plenty enough . Sandy knows hi pup need more weight on it, i t might take couple months to really settle  before eats and drops bit of weight, if still thin, start giving it plenty of lamb in it dinner, that soon cover it:yes:  

• Thanks 1

Best not to have set patterns in your head about what dogs should look like. Learn to look at the dog and see if he looks good. That pup looks all there and happy to me. No doubt when hes adult you'll have to learn his weight what he runs best at. Nice feet btw?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I reckon sandy knows what's what, regarding galgos, and feeding pups.

As has been mentioned in this thread, and dodgers 'gooden' thread, the pup has just recently come over from Spain and has lost condition.

Won't be too much longer til sandy has him looking stronger and in better condition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Blackmag said:

Got decent trotters on it but I would like to see a bit more timber on it personally but doesn't look to bad some dogs suit running light like that  what they like sandymere stamina ect 

Underweight after the trip to UK and a bout of gastroenteritis but coming along. As to stamina? pretty decent stayers.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Underweight after the trip to UK and a bout of gastroenteritis but coming along. As to stamina? pretty decent stayers.

What made you go for one in the first place Sandy did you like the look of them better than the coursing bred dogs in this country?

1 hour ago, sandymere said:

Shame old puss hasn't got a bit of cover to help her at the end as that first hare deserved to run again..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fireman said:

Shame old puss hasn't got a bit of cover to help her at the end as that first hare deserved to run again..

Yes, a good hare, made the run and deserved to run again. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Deerhunter1 said:

What made you go for one in the first place Sandy did you like the look of them better than the coursing bred dogs in this country?

Spanish friend  who extolled their virtues, did a bit of digging  and they seemed a bit of a undiscovered type over here, they helped me import the 1st one and I was impressed with her. Few over here now doing their stuff now?

4 hours ago, bird said:

now tis thing about top spine showing, i was the same  as you in that thinking, both my 1xs  have show spine , old bryn was 60lb dog fit still knock few rabbits over at 10, lived till 14, big old Buck a 88 lb dog , old now but still quite strong animal who 11 in august  both showed top spine. i did ask my vet, who very good, proper country vet, knows what ive done with Buck, she say seen any smelly foxes lately , when she used to see me lol,. i asked about the spine thing, she said bryn was in good nick, and Buck as well, she said  under fed dog, be generally thin all over, alot of dogs can pull weight from the rib cage, and that show the spine more . me self 2 ribs showing plenty enough . Sandy knows hi pup need more weight on it, i t might take couple months to really settle  before eats and drops bit of weight, if still thin, start giving it plenty of lamb in it dinner, that soon cover it:yes:  

Agree, horses for courses and all that Bird?.

I'm a great believer in showing reality,  could have picked some pics that put him in a good light etc but he is what he is. As you say he'll come along over the next few months and he will be a nice looking dog of his type and more importantly move really well. Gotta look through the 1st impressions to see what is there, I was once told as an artist you have to forget what u see and paint what is there ?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Agree, horses for courses and all that Bird?.

I'm a great believer in showing reality,  could have picked some pics that put him in a good light etc but he is what he is. As you say he'll come along over the next few months and he will be a nice looking dog of his type and more importantly move really well. Gotta look through the 1st impressions to see what is there, I was once told as an artist you have to forget what u see and paint what is there ?

say whach ya see?

• Haha 1