lack of rabbits

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Warning, if you have a few rabbits, best get into em because once RHD arrives it will blow an awful lot down, up to over 90%. This is why I've read many comments on about "oh there were a few rabbits

I'm not against airgunners but once the warm weather comes there out in Force all over the country on the rabbits I'd of thought they'd be more on with rats greys pigeons n crows etc, problem is alot

This time of yr,I only take the odd rabbit with wires or the odd duck/squirrel/wood pigeon with a catty , purely for fresh ferret food(freezers always full with what we catch through the season and th

Posted Images

Warning, if you have a few rabbits, best get into em because once RHD arrives it will blow an awful lot down, up to over 90%. This is why I've read many comments on about "oh there were a few rabbits on my permission, but now they have just disappeared"I know what that relates to. These comments appear to relate to areas from one end of the country, to the other, sadly nature will have to run its course, hopefully the numbers will build back up with the passing of some years. The sport of catching rabbits is under pressure from so many quarters in your country and worldwide, as mentioned the lack of rabbits, the public outlook on chasing & catching rabbits, using dogs, the removing of cover & building over of ground that was once held rabbits. In my country, we are certainly behind but given time we will find ourselves in the same place because  hunting worldwide is under threat, it's not viewed as a favourable pastime, so I think our generation has seen the best of it. Back in the day, it was the way people fed themselves, once we moved away from that, it then became a hobby/sport, supported only by those that engaged in this sport.OMG how far we have slipped, I wonder what grandad would say ?my bet is he would not be able to understand & he certainly not would view it all as anything ... good...  

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 9
On 27/05/2023 at 17:18, fred90 said:

just been to the Yorkshire coast for a few days, due to my wrist still in plaster gave me plenty of opportunity to view scenery not having to drive. from A1 along A64 all the way to Filey, didn't see a single rabbit either sat on grass verge, in fields or run over. rode through part of north York moors and exactly the same, sad times. 

That's my  vercinaty  and to be honest  my permission s are crawling with rabbits  got a good  outlet for em too just struggling  to get someone to help me do em no one  interested  anymore  round  this  way gave a good permission  away last  winter   to a lad on here ,sad times alright 

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, wildman said:

That's my  vercinaty  and to be honest  my permission s are crawling with rabbits  got a good  outlet for em too just struggling  to get someone to help me do em no one  interested  anymore  round  this  way gave a good permission  away last  winter   to a lad on here ,sad times alright 

If your struggling give me a shout i could come n help you get rid of a few no problem. 

Hunt them whilst they're there lads. The virus doesn't care whether there are ten or a thousand rabbits in an area. It will take the lot.

If there comes a time, when the effect of this virus reduces, and rabbits do begin to recover, they're numbers will explode within a few years, and this will all become a distant memory. 

Edited by EDDIE B
  • Like 1

it's a common thing in a lot of places. I travel to the Lincolnshire coast a few times throughout the year. early 80s, 90s rabbits on verges loads run over, once shot 10 out of the car window with a 3 bore garden gun, that's before we started night lamping. now you hardly see any on roadside. 

• Like 1
On 28/05/2023 at 08:50, keepdiggin said:

Not surprised with the amount of deer everywhere 

thats the job, get few them in freezer , feck the rabbits  lol. it been the same with rabbits  the last 20 years, numbers were droping down when i went out with jim,  and took old bryn , we were hitting 30-40s every time we went out, do that regular , and the numbers soon drop  down, as said even Dales  dropped off to what once was. yep  it the deer, there lot of them about, more meat, and testing for your dog, and Charlie if you bump into one lol  , had few great night like that with old Buck , shame they get feckin old deff. 

• Like 1