Highland cows.

Now this is a strange one to be fair. Went this morning to my local brewery delivering some gammon steaks and eggs. Reason being the head guy loves to make breakfast each day. Anyhow. I’m having a pint,9.30 am ffs, and the conversation goes to his brother who wants to purchase 2 hiighland cow heifers. Now how the heck did this happen. I know a guy who just happens to have some highland cattle. Long story short, my pal has 5 beasts going to Melton market in the morning, including 2 heifers. I guess that was a done deal. How do these things come together?jok.

• Like 3

Can highland cattle be left out all year long ?

I'm I right in thinking other cattle come inside because of the lower protein and sugars in grass in the winter..not because of the cold....

Or is it something completely different?

19 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

Must admit I like a cow myself took these pics a while back on Dartmoor 

779d1628-b8ec-4e01-8c4f-84f0cc8fc17e.jpeg.bde0bc3cc34329a8457a4d6efc54ab6f.jpeg

1b26bd41-4b9e-4d53-b8a7-5f83bb94c82e.jpeg.fd9b12a3fc3a095f4cac68c3754f5242.jpeg

Lob a few tomatoes at it and start running when you've pissed it off enough - you'll get Devons own Pamplona going :yes:

........... it'll beat their strange cheese rolling thing hands down :laugh:

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, TOMO said:

I'm I right in thinking other cattle come inside because of the lower protein and sugars in grass in the winter..not because of the cold....

Knepp rewilding leave their stock out all year round I think ??Tamworth x pigs longhorn cattle ,native ponies etc 

I think some of it is to do with churning the pasture up when it’s wet , obviously if you have low head of livestock in decent acreage you can get away with it . 

Not that I’m any judge. Belted Galloway were the beast of the Borders. There weren’t many milking type cows in our area. I like the idea of people wanting a highland breed.  Jok.

3 hours ago, TOMO said:

Cattle are brought in in winter because of the damage to the ground they cause mate .If they roamed free it would be different but concentrated together they ‘poach ‘the ground .Also makes for easier feed control when the grass is less nutritional .

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Greyman said:

These belted Galways are very popular round here seem quite a robust pile of beef  

A1F4E6CE-691F-4B6D-8AB8-590B6497A964.jpeg

What’s the crack with them in woodland though .Here ,Wessex woodland Wont allow it unless under a rewind scheme with old English cattle .Do you think they have gotten in by mistake .

2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Cattle are brought in in winter because of the damage to the ground they cause mate .If they roamed free it would be different but concentrated together they ‘poach ‘the ground .Also makes for easier feed control when the grass is less nutritional .

same reason tomo brings his dogs in winter time they don’t like the sinky slop lol

• Haha 1