Carlton Ware Pottery........... Help PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bit off the wall for me this one, I've come into this piece, which I've been told is rare and valuable.  I can find next to nothing about it, except I think it is made between 1894 and 1926.

I don't even know what it is, it has a strange screw type removable top, so I expect it is to keep something secure or airtight, maybe tea or perhaps herbs/spices (I'm guessing).  Its about 5inches tall.  At first I thought it was an ashtray, but the indents around the lip are simply to locate the metal clamp to release the top!

062a.jpg.5eab8986b12ef0a9c0732def4f34fedc.jpg064a.jpg.df3a40fd31f448182cde639c4bdc8511.jpg060a.jpg.ade9163adfb8b38ffd7662ffb9b91d08.jpg

So, can anyone help me with this please, links, value, etc etc!

Cheers

27 minutes ago, greg64 said:

it looks like a tobacco jar they have the same screwtype top 

That looks like a good shout, but I can't find the one I've got!!!

Cheers! :good:

Edited by Deker
5 hours ago, Coywolf said:

i would say it's an old ash tray....i reckon you turn the top to empty the ash and butts into it....you get modern ones that act the same.....

As I said upfront, I thought that, but research says no, its a Tobacco jar, not ashtray! :good:

Edited by Deker
5 hours ago, Coywolf said:

here's one similar to yours.....  

Vintage Carlton Ware Tobacco Jar Floral

location-outlined-3b437ba818c33e33283119ff32356592.svg Bedfordshire, United Kingdom

large_vintage-carlton-ware-tobacco-jar-floral-sku70884133_0.jpg

Cheers, but that's the problem I'm having, lots of Carlton Ware Tobacco Jar images online, but none like mine, so is mine junk or worth a fortune, guess I need to find an Auction House?????!!!!!

2 hours ago, Deker said:

Cheers, but that's the problem I'm having, lots of Carlton Ware Tobacco Jar images online, but none like mine, so is mine junk or worth a fortune, guess I need to find an Auction House?????!!!!!

that pic of the one i put up had a price of £12 i think it was.....i wouldn't say your one is junk, but you probably couldn't retire off of it just yet....lol 

put it on the shelf for now until you find out more information on the one you have.....like you said...auction house, antique shops, dealers etc.