ferret limping

hi i have a good old hob ferret he is about 8 year old and a cracking worker over the last week ive noticed he is dragging his back leg on the right along when he is walking he doesnt do it all the time and some days he doesnt do it at all i was thinking is it just stiffness with him knocking on a bit or some thing else what you all think 

thanks for the reply mate he is only doing it now and again he has a large hutch and has the run of a large shed every day so its not as if hes living in cramped conditions i was thinking of maybe trying some you move medication you get for dogs with arthritis and joint stiffness at a reduced dosage obviously his diet is good and varied with fish and rabbit pheasant and venison and anything else i can get i will look into it and talk with my vet 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pengelli said:

thanks for the reply mate he is only doing it now and again he has a large hutch and has the run of a large shed every day so its not as if hes living in cramped conditions i was thinking of maybe trying some you move medication you get for dogs with arthritis and joint stiffness at a reduced dosage obviously his diet is good and varied with fish and rabbit pheasant and venison and anything else i can get i will look into it and talk with my vet 

You could try something for his joints but it could be anything at that age. Eight is a good lifespan for ferrets, probably over 100 in human years so you have looked after him well to get him there.

• Like 2

yes mate 8 is a good age for a ferret he is an excellent worker and wont even enter an unoccupied warren i have two jills his daughters here and they are the same he will be a loss when he goes but all things must end but i have his daughters here that i will keep going with 

• Like 1

Had one limping the other day it was a bloody Tic between her toes. She didn't half squeal when I removed it. Could try Salmond oil or Cod liver Oil for the joints mate.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Arry said:

Had one limping the other day it was a bloody Tic between her toes. She didn't half squeal when I removed it. Could try Salmond oil or Cod liver Oil for the joints mate.

Cheers Arry

Good idea to try fish oil, also Loxicom for cats is used off label for ferrets as painkiller. Best to give in short bursts of about 3 days, I've not had problems with that. As others have said 8 is a great age for a job, you must be doing a great job 

• Like 1

yes luckee he is treated like a king he is my best worker he has passed that on to his daughters they are the same be it agood dog or a good ferret we do spoil them well i do and they all get what they need i will look into loxicom for cats i have used it on the dogs before for knocked up toes and i know that it helps thanks 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I put mine down a few weeks ago as he was dragging his back end every now an again to start off with then I’d go to him one day an he was ok then another day his eyes were in back of his head then ok but when I got him out his cage and put him to my Jill’s in season he wasn’t interested and was just dragging his back end round so I couldn’t see him like this anymore so pts, he was 8 years old an had so many good days out with him. 

• Sad 1
18 minutes ago, whitefeet4190 said:

I put mine down a few weeks ago as he was dragging his back end every now an again to start off with then I’d go to him one day an he was ok then another day his eyes were in back of his head then ok but when I got him out his cage and put him to my Jill’s in season he wasn’t interested and was just dragging his back end round so I couldn’t see him like this anymore so pts, he was 8 years old an had so many good days out with him. 

Sad when you have to do that but you did good. Can't let them suffer and 8 year is not bad for a ferret. Atb.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2