Mooching-Hill or backs dogs as we called them

Does anyone on here still do this type of hunting ie dogs that range on the moors n fells for flushing Charlie etc, great sport n get out the way can be gone all day

What dogs do you use I reckon wirehaired pointer types be interesting there was a could lurchers a pal own with German shepherd in them that was handy..

My two , ones a pure pointer and there others 1/4 pointer with collie and grey in there 

the pure pointer is probably one the best finding dogs Iv ever seen , had to learn to just when she’s found scent to give her time to work it out , Iv seen her turn a few on open ground which I didn’t think would happen , im tempted to put a pure pointer on the lurcher would roughly be 3/8 5/8 reverse cross just might be the ticket , something thst doesn’t quite look like a lurcher but have a little bit of pace 

F74BD13C-845D-4FCE-955D-FDB4D26D4F11.jpeg

• Like 11

Cracking 

2 hours ago, Wales1234 said:

My two , ones a pure pointer and there others 1/4 pointer with collie and grey in there 

the pure pointer is probably one the best finding dogs Iv ever seen , had to learn to just when she’s found scent to give her time to work it out , Iv seen her turn a few on open ground which I didn’t think would happen , im tempted to put a pure pointer on the lurcher would roughly be 3/8 5/8 reverse cross just might be the ticket , something thst doesn’t quite look like a lurcher but have a little bit of pace 

Cracking looking dogs sounds like they give you some good sport, very tough them pointers arnt they.. 

3 hours ago, Wales1234 said:

Cracking looking team for the job at hand ?

The lad that made those films running the hills and mountainside  had very good dogs for hunting at distance the best I saw personally was bear a pure border endless stamina and a pure hatered of foxes he could find and Mark any were 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

The lad that made those films running the hills and mountainside  had very good dogs for hunting at distance the best I saw personally was bear a pure border endless stamina and a pure hatered of foxes he could find and Mark any were 

Was that the Welsh fella mate something Edwards?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, moonlighter said:

I know a guy who does this. He’s got a beddy/grey x bull/grey. He’s has great results too. I think he said the furthest his dog had gone and killed was a mile away. He’s uses a garmin collar. 

Another breed few local us and houndxs , Iv had mine at a fair distance a few times 

9D254C7D-11D4-4A7B-BE95-2BF0898F198C.jpeg

• Like 2

Done it with all sorts and loved it, but only had one personally I'd call a hunting up dog, he was whip grey scratch dog X beardie grey. Not foxes and not hunting miles off mind

Edited by Gilbey
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Gilbey said:

Done it with all sorts and loved it, but only had one personally I'd call a hunting up dog, he was whip grey scratch dog X beardie grey. Edibles and not hunting miles off mind

Yeh that's it you need that balance don't you were they can be kept in when needed n depending on were you are n good at close quater combat but also find a line n be willing to range when needed but good recall should it be needed..

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, dodger said:

How do you find the hound crosses

Same as everything else seen some good seen some bad , but they do go , I found the one I had hard to live with and more once on a line there gone , with the pointers I find them better on a shit day just constantly busy and looking even when the scents shit she covers the ground and has found when other dogs have moved on 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Wales1234 said:

Same as everything else seen some good seen some bad , but they do go , I found the one I had hard to live with and more once on a line there gone , with the pointers I find them better on a shit day just constantly busy and looking even when the scents shit she covers the ground and has found when other dogs have moved on 

Sounds a great way to spend a good winters day mate that style of hunting plus no doubt you must be fit aswell get the dogs amongst it, bet you don't bump into many people aswell compared to other places can't beat those bleak spots..