Busy morning.

I must admit the weather today is warm and quite humid, not quite ideal to be taking loads of wood, tools etc up the fields to build two permanent hides for both shotgun shooting but also perfect for air rifle as they are only about 15 - 20 yds from two sitty trees. We are lucky as all the cammo netting we use and all the wood support posts are free as we get them from the village tip and the worst is perhaps me having to cut 3 x 3'' post down to 2 x 2'' posts in order to get them in the ground a bit easier.

Back home for a bit of lunch, cool down and off again in a few minutes to try them out. This will make 8 permanent hides on this quarry perm covering air fac, air rifle, rimfire and shotgun and whilst this is only a small perm compared to some of our other perms, it is without doubt the one that gives us the greatest pleasure. 

Lets see if we can get a few ...

Phil

• Like 3

The hides worked well this afternoon in terms of the few birds that were around took little notice of the new hides.  Having been on the rifle for the last few weeks, It can play havock with shooting with the shotgun but after a few misses on those very wary crows, I managed to take one or two along with a couple of pigeon but conditions were not ideal with no breeze and quite humid.  We were happy that the hides were just about spot on for this shooting although I wish I had taken the air rifle as well as a few woodies were sneaking in on the sitty trees.

It has been quite some while since I tried calling in the crows, my pal said it sounded like a duck but nevertheless, I did bring a few in once I got a feel of the call again.

A pleasant few hours to get out with the gun. We had a muntjac come very casually walking over within 35 yds of us, took a look and made his or her way to one of the houses on the edge of this perm to check if any food has been left out.

Phil

• 5 weeks later...