Feral duty

I have shot 3 times at my dairy farm perm in the last two weeks taking my buddy down last night. It is not a mega perm now the rats have almost gone ( it was a 1000 a year rat perm and sadly missed ) but nevertheless it is enjoyable to go and shoot 12 - 20 birds a session and home again in a couple of hours.  Last evening we had just walked into the yard and I saw a feral sat on one of the barn roofs which is where we shoot most of the birds including crows, I took the shot and the bird dropped off the roof and with a flutter hit the ground with a thud, within a second one of the farm cats came out from under a cattle trough, jet propelled, ran 20 yds, picked up the pigeon and ran off so fast it was really amazing. My buddy and I just fell about laughing at this supercharged little cat. 

About half an hour later my pal shot a woodie off the apex of another barn which dropped into one of the cattle pens so I walked over to retrieve it only to see another little feline jumping over a couple of straw bales with the bird in it's mouth which set me off with the giggles again.

I had a bit of a walk round all the barns while it was quiet and found quite a few piles of feathers which I am guessing were the remains of the ferals I have been shooting, only wish I could train a couple of these cats to be my retreiver cats, oh well at least the little cats are getting some free food which is good to see.

Phil

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...