Seems to be quite a good year for the old cuckoo, after several years of none or very odd one they seem to be here in some numbers this year woke up to the sound of one again this morning and saw 4 different ones on a walk recently all within two or three miles of me, anyone else have them around ?? Or am I just special 

• Like 5

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your asking about the fishing comp so you can turn up and have a tear up or a row then your being a bit of a wanker Tim as that comp is a get together for a good time,to remember and talk about pas

Meanwhile on the moor, a cuckoo, albeit a shite photo of one ?? 

It can take around 8 seconds for the cuckoo to lay her egg. She won’t “buzz “ overhead, but sometimes flies over the moor looking for reactions from the pipits, the idea is to get in and out unseen, a

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Seems to be quite a good year for the old cuckoo, after several years of none or very odd one they seem to be here in some numbers this year woke up to the sound of one again this morning and saw 4 different ones on a walk recently all within two or three miles of me, anyone else have them around ?? Or am I just special 

I've been waking up to the sound of a cuckoo as well this week 

• Like 2

Heard them on dartmoor last week ,saw one in flight but the tree out back ours that has one every year has been silent thus far .Pity as it’s a tune  I look forward to .Years ago it was thought the cuckoo and sparrow hawk were one and the same .

On 13/05/2023 at 19:26, Bush Rummager said:

Heard my first of the year in Edale Valley this morning.

20230513_102555.jpg.7a12aa1e4bc0e67a3daf9bce382fe78f.jpg

Plenty of Curlews too.

We’ve curlews on the river flood plains . Great to hear them waffling overhead nights . 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Greyman said:

Just sat having a cuppa this morning still got cuckoos around can here one calling it’s been the most prolific year for some time for the old cuckoo well nice 

Went out for early walk Sunday on the outskirts of the moor still up there calling.