The whole family are on it and I,m in a bit more of a rural setting than many but we are clocking up some good stuff captured a bullfinch and reed warbler yesterday had a stonechat few days back plus the cuckoo, quite funny but several of my immediate neighbours are quite serious hells angels and I have got quite a few of them on it, pretty amusing when I bump into them all excited about there latest bird they recorded they had a kestrel yesterday ?  

• Like 4

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People on the meateater podcast have been raving about it . You hold your phone out with the app open and recording and it will tell you every bird noise around you and identify each bird . If theirs

Had a good haul today 14 different species I went over to this place in the link below I would normally walk for miles over there but serious thunderstorms this was just hanging the app out of the car

We are currently working on a very old property ,flag stone courtyard and ashlar walls .The owner said he had a few house martins arrive and so I suggested putting down a bag of top soil suitably damp

Posted Images

I tried to get my wife interested in it too but she simply didn't believe that I can differentiate between different species by sound alone. She said, "Don't they all go 'tweet'?"?

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Imagine 40years ago if some one told you in the future you would have a mobile phone that could recognise bird song and tell you what the bird was. I know i would have been one of them saying don't be so bloody daft .

I would have been the same about flat elastic on a catty to be honest mate ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, BEARINATOR said:

Just downloaded inaturalist so will give it a try later 

What's that one mate. I told a lad at work about the bird app as he lives and walks his dog in Whitwell woods and hears bird song he told me about an app that tells you what type of fungi and mushrooms are after taking a pic of them i wonder if anyone else on hear as used it.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

What's that one mate. I told a lad at work about the bird app as he lives and walks his dog in Whitwell woods and hears bird song he told me about an app that tells you what type of fungi and mushrooms are after taking a pic of them i wonder if anyone else on hear as used it.

It’s this one mate daughter recons it’s better than merlin as it covers everything from insects to elephants 

32 minutes ago, BEARINATOR said:

Just downloaded inaturalist so will give it a try later 

EF0BB733-AB7B-47C8-953E-380D65FB7A9C.png

• Like 2

I've used the app a good few times now. Although I find it very good, it does miss a lot of birds that you can hear clearly. Also, I've had a nice few peculiar hits pop up, that I doubt were in the area's I was in. 

Had red legged partridge just down the road from me. Very few partridge anywhere over here. Not even released ones. Also had mallard three times in the last week. Nowhere near water, and heard nothing at the time, apart from a few sheep. In fact, I'm almost certain the last time, it was definitely sheep.

• Like 1

I've downloaded it to give it a go. We are on jollies this week at Brid, go to Bempton so will be a good test there. Then when we get home we are in sticks a bit so get plenty different birds around us.

Does it do an accumulative list? I.e. all the birds identified over the number of uses and maybe a counter? Or does it just tell u what it hears on that particular time?

It does a job but not 100% ….i had a garden warbler this weekend which is spot on after listening to calls on Utube ….thought it was as I didn’t recognise it !…and a lesser whitethroat…picked up loads of white throat so well pleased …tried to fool it with impression…no joy…sat eating lunch and my stomach made a noise and up popped ‘Rock pigeon ‘ :victory:

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, ryaldinhio said:

I've downloaded it to give it a go. We are on jollies this week at Brid, go to Bempton so will be a good test there. Then when we get home we are in sticks a bit so get plenty different birds around us.

Does it do an accumulative list? I.e. all the birds identified over the number of uses and maybe a counter? Or does it just tell u what it hears on that particular time?

you need to press the red button and it will save your list,when you have a list saved you can press on any of the bird song you heard and it will play that only

Edited by paddyluke
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, paddyluke said:

you need to press the red button and it will save your list,when you have a list saved you can press on any of the bird song you heard and it will play that only

I,m not techie at all but obviously the kids are and my daughter has gone into some kind of life collection setting and also an area thing that says there are 62 species in my area and she has so far got nearly 40 of them,it’s not 100% but distance and frequency seem to be the to main things, if I’m sat on the boat I will get the normal blackbirds and robins but walk to the hedge and sit down you start getting the smaller stuff like blackcaps and chiff chafes which seem pretty abundant here 

I had a walk own the old mineral line at Thurcroft nr Rotherham yesterday and picked up garden warblers willow warblers and chiff Chaff as well as other numerous common birds though some one who keeps peacocks nr the line the app did not pick the noise they were making though it was a distance away. I still don't think we can complain about the app as apps like this must still be in the early stages of how they work.

• Like 2