Today I went out with a old mate and his Russel and young lurcher bitch doing a old disused railway we use to work 40 years ago as kids we got 3 rabbits it wasn't the rabbits took that made my day but the terrier sounding and pushing them out for  the lurcher just like the old days short bursts and sometimes not even a run the Russel sounding away in the brash and the youngster standing on tip toes waiting a run took me back years 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today I went out with a old mate and his Russel and young lurcher bitch doing a old disused railway we use to work 40 years ago as kids we got 3 rabbits it wasn't the rabbits took that made my day but

So true I think we all have good memories of them years. Small farms that were still worked with old boys tottering about who didnt care what you did or even if you asked as long as you did no harm. I

some more memories

Posted Images

I miss using my terriers bushing it gets the old blood going especially when there's something else sitting in there,my old russell bitch used to love hunting bunnies ferreting and just mooching about with me as a kid,I work spaniels now because it's less hassle with the changing times if you get my drift but it's good to have memories like that especially with an old friend 

• Like 1

Yes I forgot how good them times were no one bothered you we would be out all day walking any were and every were without a care in the world sometimes going home empty handed just shows how times have changed 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Yes I forgot how good them times were no one bothered you we would be out all day walking any were and every were without a care in the world sometimes going home empty handed just shows how times have changed 

So true I think we all have good memories of them years. Small farms that were still worked with old boys tottering about who didnt care what you did or even if you asked as long as you did no harm. I still walk the same ground now and things have changed so much. The amount of wild life has dropped so much compared to what it was. There was an old warren in a corner of some gorse a real hot spot. I let a wild polecat go down it as a kid because I didnt have a ferret. That was a bit hectic for five minutes until it legged it. A fence line that had old oaks spread along it with no cover and under ever tree was a set of holes that held rabbits. The ferret crawled over the top of a rabbit and got stuck. No locator so spent hours with a bramble and sticks digging it out. Pot luck I followed right tube. Was in full view of the farm house the other side of the valley. That same spot now is all imaculate and hardly a rabbit to be seen. Still not allowed  there lol 

81576292_580939369137850_4279183278302298112_n.jpg

• Like 11
3 hours ago, terryd said:

So true I think we all have good memories of them years. Small farms that were still worked with old boys tottering about who didnt care what you did or even if you asked as long as you did no harm. I still walk the same ground now and things have changed so much. The amount of wild life has dropped so much compared to what it was. There was an old warren in a corner of some gorse a real hot spot. I let a wild polecat go down it as a kid because I didnt have a ferret. That was a bit hectic for five minutes until it legged it. A fence line that had old oaks spread along it with no cover and under ever tree was a set of holes that held rabbits. The ferret crawled over the top of a rabbit and got stuck. No locator so spent hours with a bramble and sticks digging it out. Pot luck I followed right tube. Was in full view of the farm house the other side of the valley. That same spot now is all imaculate and hardly a rabbit to be seen. Still not allowed  there lol 

81576292_580939369137850_4279183278302298112_n.jpg

happy days ?around here back then all farmers were bastaxxs, nowadays all of them are still bastaxxs. 

• Like 1

Farmers by me are hit and miss but I know 1 thing you ain't in that certain click they won't acknowledge you,I was walking mine on a spot few months back and by accident the dogs ended up chasing something into the road right infront a land owner yeah it was my fault I took complete responsibility and apologised to him but he was going on at me and just being a prat,mobile phones and cameras everywhere times are alot different now by me there has been a decrease in land and places I used to know are know longer there but on flip side other places are producing alot more wild life that at 1 time never had much so I suppose there's food for thought 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Blackmag said:

The difference I find is more people have an opinion, Its always been hard to get permission but i don't remember anyone but landowners being bothered about hunting with dogs 40 years ago. I completely get the excitement about terriers and a lurcher, I loved seeing that interaction. Today we have so many muntjac and badgers where I live it's not practical to have a terrier, the poor b*****d would never be allowed off the lead ?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Penda said:

Farmers by me are hit and miss but I know 1 thing you ain't in that certain click they won't acknowledge you,I was walking mine on a spot few months back and by accident the dogs ended up chasing something into the road right infront a land owner yeah it was my fault I took complete responsibility and apologised to him but he was going on at me and just being a prat,mobile phones and cameras everywhere times are alot different now by me there has been a decrease in land and places I used to know are know longer there but on flip side other places are producing alot more wild life that at 1 time never had much so I suppose there's food for thought 

Can't do ote 2 ya  if you ain't gorra dog 

• Haha 1

I did the same. Coal railway lines even before they got decommissioned and pulled up. Their trains never went very fast anyway. The 125's were a bit quicker though, lucky to be alive really ? Halcyon days when the pits started closing though for young lads with dogs looking for hunting, on the old lines, slag heaps and in the yards when the men who worked there turned a blind eye and would be happy with a gift of a rabbit on the rare occasions that we caught something and ever rarer if we got to it before the "pack" broke it up.

• Like 1
On 04/05/2023 at 22:55, Blackmag said:

Today I went out with a old mate and his Russel and young lurcher bitch doing a old disused railway we use to work 40 years ago as kids we got 3 rabbits it wasn't the rabbits took that made my day but the terrier sounding and pushing them out for  the lurcher just like the old days short bursts and sometimes not even a run the Russel sounding away in the brash and the youngster standing on tip toes waiting a run took me back years 

Sounds like you had some good fun mate they do say you end up were you and how you started don't they

I bet alot of your old haunts are houses now eh

• Like 1

Bushing with a terrier it's surprising how far a rabbit will go. Also rabbits are far from stupid. Few years a go the lurcher was tracking one through cover. I had a good vantage point and I saw the rabbit double back in the brambles and sneak by the dog with in feet. I can see it now the rabbit giving the dog a sly peep as it snuck by and then legged it once it got by. The dog nose to floored carried on then did about turn and was hot on its heels. Great sport from humble rabbit 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

dont no what ive done here trying to work  out photos BUT ALL MEMORIES FATHER SALUKI  COLLIE GREY  MOTHER WEATN  GREY BULL GREY AND 2 LITTER SISTERS  HAVE THE BLACK  AND WHITE BITCH MADE OLD BONES AND THATS THE LAST WHEN SHES GONE