Advice needed

We are getting a lot of small 6 inch to half a pound trout lately and have great difficulty dehooking g them,even with a disgorger,has anyone used barbless while on the trout,when their real small the mouth open has a bundle of worm and it's hard to make out where exactly the hook lies ,....I'm a casual angler,do a bit now and then ,and it's not good to be damaging the smallies ,

2 hours ago, Gilbey said:

Yeah barbless work fine, much easier. I do even less than you at min though..

Thanks gilbey ,I hope this is not a dumb question but ,any issues with the worm staying on the hook when casting?

On 02/05/2023 at 14:36, Whispering Whiskey 66 said:

Try hook beads for carp fishing there small enough  ye might find they will work mate 

I'll look into those thanks,...maybe it's my technique but I don't find it easy to unhook the small trout quickly....,you open their mouth and all you see is a ball of worms,hard to sort the hook out

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

I'll look into those thanks,...maybe it's my technique but I don't find it easy to unhook the small trout quickly....,you open their mouth and all you see is a ball of worms,hard to sort the hook out

I can’t help yer with that one sorry as I only ever spin for them. Lol 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Whispering Whiskey 66 said:

Maybe something like this, a long thin disgorger? 

IMG_4398.png

I actually have 2 of them,..on the small trout I find it hard to use,

• Like 1

Regarding keeping worms on barbless hooks just use a length of rubber band simular in size and colour to your worms and thread on last it will hold the bunch in place and look natural a rubber maggot will do the same ?

• Like 3

Small trout are buggers for swallowing baits, if on a river try an keep in touch with the drift or if a lake keep a tight line and hit bites early. This advice is not so good if your after bigger stuff.

Use bigger hooks if they are all swallowing it straight down. I only ever use barbless, you should never loose a fish because of barbless but so much easier to unhook from clothes, fingers and eyeballs. Use a tiny square of elastic band to keep worms on, just hook it on after your worm. 

• Like 3