catch the little bootlaces all yr round, certain rivers, ime it depends on the weather....best months I find is from July onwards...muggy/humid weather and you get the big girls....fish heads or 20 mm plus halibut pellets for bait,lightest  lead you can get away,free running ?  a 5lb plus eel is a fish of a lifetime imo?

• Like 4

DC. I must mention this as a 5 pounder seems rather tiddlerish. We were diving on an ex hospital ship down your way. We had been advised to look out for shiny deposits as there was every chance of mercury, which, although a bit dangerous to handle is also very valuable. My mate Fred gave me a bit of a dig and pointed to some portholes. In the gloom, as I shone my light on said items, it appeared that 3 of them were full of mercury. Cutting a long deep story short, the mercury turned out to be a conger which was significantly bigger than 5 lbs. Fred shit himself and made a fairly hasty exit to the surface. Jok.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, jok said:

DC. I must mention this as a 5 pounder seems rather tiddlerish. We were diving on an ex hospital ship down your way. We had been advised to look out for shiny deposits as there was every chance of mercury, which, although a bit dangerous to handle is also very valuable. My mate Fred gave me a bit of a dig and pointed to some portholes. In the gloom, as I shone my light on said items, it appeared that 3 of them were full of mercury. Cutting a long deep story short, the mercury turned out to be a conger which was significantly bigger than 5 lbs. Fred shit himself and made a fairly hasty exit to the surface. Jok.

I've had a few biggish conger. 

Planning on catching a big freshwater eel this year. 

• Like 2

Many years ago I was introduced to eel fishing on or at the North Bank , Boston. Lincs. We would go bleak fishing, for bait, and spend all the dark hours on the eels. Fantastic. I seem to remember 5lb eels which are quite a thing. Also, we jellied our eels and took them into the local pubs in Northampton for which we had the obligatory pint. In those days we would be bringing back well over 40/50 eels. Jok.

4 hours ago, Robbusher said:

I had a nice one couple of years ago must have been a good 5/6lb on a local pond five minutes from mine never fancied eating them like always catch and release for me 

895DE31A-34D3-4CD6-A3F4-74D0E441F5C5.jpeg

That is a belting eel mate, congrats ? 

• Like 3

Eels are switched on now lv had one today. My faveroute method is twig rigs and raw King prawn. Fished in the bottom of the ledge at the deepest part of the lake. Running rig with minimum resistance. I use a bit of bait elastic to keep my prawn on Fresh is miles better than frozen.

• Like 1