An example of the Generosity of members on this forum

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now here is a good pub quiz question - ‘what is the connection between a fly fishing rod a Pickardie lurcher bitch, a joint of Aberdeen Angus beef, a jar of honey and a jar of home made chutney?

It was and always will be, a pleasure to help people out. I’m so glad that ‘Jade’ has gone to a good home. I hope ‘Wyeman’ has many years of pleasure with her and of course with the fly fishing gear.

Theres some real genuine members on this site...happy to help folks out? Well done Jok,and a speedy recovery after your fall pal??  

Posted Images

11 hours ago, wyeman said:

Now here is a good pub quiz question - ‘what is the connection between a fly fishing rod a Pickardie lurcher bitch, a joint of Aberdeen Angus beef, a jar of honey and a jar of home made chutney?

The answer, to stop you completely shaking your head off, is simple, it’s because of the friendliness and generosity of some folk on this forum, let me explain......

Earlier this year I contacted a member of the forum (Jok), regarding a Trout rod and other fly fishing gear he was advertising for sale on here and following an exchange of PM’s, I arranged a  visit.   I received a very warm welcome from Jok and over a very welcome coffee, I was shown the rod and the other gear he had for sale.  However, the conversation broadened into gun dogs and trialling, gundog clubs and we established we had mutual knowledge of various people.  The subject of Pickardie sheepdogs and lurchers also came up and I discovered Jok very knowledgeable about the subject and he even later suggested that he would get back to me if he ever heard of a litter.  I left with the fishing gear and made the long journey home.

A few days later Jok PM’d me to say that a litter he had made enquiries about, were all spoken for but he would bear me in mind for the future.  I must add that I thought that would be the end of the matter and that time and day to day commitments would make the matter fade away.  But I was so wrong, about 3 weeks later I received a message from Jok suggesting that I contact a friend if his, who possibly had a Pickardie lurcher bitch available.

Arrangements were duly made to view the dog and because I had a distance to travel, I organised the visit so that I could attend a Beekeeping show being held on the same day - my darling wife always accompanies me to these shows, I mention this now because it does impact later!

Having visited the Beekeeper’s show, we duly turned up on the Saturday afternoon and found Jok and his friend Shaun waiting for us. My darling wife had been told that we were viewing a pup and she was over the moon when Shaun showed a newly born litter of Cocker puppies.  This euphoria received somewhat of a knock when this black lurcher appeared complete with a shoulder blade from a freshly slaughtered Aberdeen Angus steer in her mouth and Shaun told her that’s the one you’ve come to see!

So whilst wife was still in shock, I bundled the bitch onto the rear seat of the car and sat wife alongside her and readied myself for the drive home, only to be presented  with a large joint of beef and a jar of honey by Shaun.  Jok who was busy counselling my traumatised wife, disappeared to return and present me with a jar of his home made chutney!  I came to look at a dog and ended up with the ingredients for my dinner too!

The journey home was fairly quiet apart from the sound of retching coming from both human and canine, indeed, it was several days before I received a civil word from the current wife and even then it was to inform me that I needed to buy her a new coat after the garment she had been wearing had been covered in a fine layer of vomit! (remember the steer shoulder blade)

Turning to bitch(Jade), she is now 8 months old and standing 22.5tts.  Very prey driven she would chase a Swallow across Wales given the chance and to make matters worse, she has incredible eyesight, something I’ve never experienced with a dog before.  So it’s gentle steadiness and recall training for the time being, until she matures!

Domestically, things have returned to a new normality, my wife speaks to me (on occasions) but she absolutely loves Jade, so it’s a winner!

Jade was gifted to me, as was the beef, honey and chutney, what a result and it just illustrates the generosity and helpfulness of many members on this forum - grateful thanks Jok!

Thanks for reading

IMG_1233.jpeg

Hunting, fishing type folk really are salt of the earth. I've too many stories to tell when hunting/fishing/country folk have done me a good turn to mention.

• Like 1

The second harrier I ever got was given to me by a man who didn't know me. I went down to look at the bitch, explained I'd had bad luck getting a good bitch, been ripped off a couple of times etc.....he gave that bitch for nowt and we been hunting pals since, and he's done me many good turns. Others have been very good to me, and me to others. I've been burned a few times but over all I think most are decent beyond necessary.

• Like 1

No. As far as I know they have been line bred from the original that Treadie brought back from France. I’ll check with Shaun when he gets back from Scotland. Hopefully he has something nice for me. Jok.

• Like 2