Hi all, newbie to the whole idea of hunting etc though its something im finding myself more interested in. 

Im intending atm to purchase an air rifle to control pests on my allotment but the long term plan is to progress to deer stalking etc, the overall idea is to feed myself and family with meat and fish cought by myself as apposed to shop bought as im trying to do with the stuff i grow on my allotment. 

Any and all advice on getting started is welcome,

Thanks Jay. 

On 17/04/2023 at 11:45, Jay9408 said:

Hi all, newbie to the whole idea of hunting etc though its something im finding myself more interested in. 

Im intending atm to purchase an air rifle to control pests on my allotment but the long term plan is to progress to deer stalking etc, the overall idea is to feed myself and family with meat and fish cought by myself as apposed to shop bought as im trying to do with the stuff i grow on my allotment. 

Any and all advice on getting started is welcome,

Thanks Jay. 

Great idea and actually quite possible, but there is still something about a Bacon Sandwich!!

I eat loads from the field, but there is still a place for shop stuff sometimes.

I have mused a series, Kill it, Cook it, Grow it ,Brew it...Enjoy it!! 

:good:

• Like 1
On 29/04/2023 at 19:39, Deker said:

Great idea and actually quite possible, but there is still something about a Bacon Sandwich!!

But how much better would it taste if you made the bread, raised the pigs and churned the butter!! ????? 

I do agree though there will always be a need for shops no matter how self sufficient a person gets (depending on how theyre willing to live i suppose) 

• Like 1
On 02/05/2023 at 17:41, Jay9408 said:

But how much better would it taste if you made the bread, raised the pigs and churned the butter!! ????? 

I do agree though there will always be a need for shops no matter how self sufficient a person gets (depending on how theyre willing to live i suppose) 

I live like that and it's good you are starting out small and progressing to bigger game. You can supply your own food off a fairly small area, chickens are a must for meat, eggs and manure for your garden, the best farm animal imo. Also quail for the same, they are the most cost efficient and quick turn over meat source. Hunting can be expensive with fuel, ammo and dogs if you have them. Could possibly swap eggs, veg for meat or other items. I still need to buy stuff so I work part time for cash, you need some.

• Like 1

Im thinking of getting quail, for a regular meat source i intend to stick to what im able to keep on my plot at the moment, chickens and ducks etc as theyre fairly small and i only need to feed myself and my son as my partner very rarely eats meat. I would like to keep larger animals to add veriety and would only need to cull something like one pig a year for myself so any others i could sell would hopefully pay for the upkeep, i would hope to get to the same point with hunting, taking one deer for myself and any others paying for the privalige. 

The plot i have is fairly large so once i get it sorted it should provide way more than enough for us.