“Exotic” Running Dogs.

Has anyone ever thought of trying one of the exotic running dog breeds ? You know; getting a pup from working lines and raising it as a lurcher ?

Something like a borzoi, azawhak, tazi, or even a chartpolski.

I often toyed with the idea but never got round to it. I know the cost of importing  would be prohibitive, and finding a real working line would be difficult, but I think it would have been fun trying it.

To late in life for me now, just wondering if anyone else had thought of it in their more contemplative moments.

Yes,I know purpose bred lurchers are better, so, mC, no need to remind me ! LOL !

Cheers.

• Haha 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dout it, It was one evil gremlin of a dog, the foxes shit themselves when that ugly gremlin stuck its head round the corner they thought they were having some kind of acid induced nightmare and bolted

Galgo Español - Wikipedia EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG four to five thousand a year bred for competitive coursing and lots more for hobbyist etc so the best of the best are well tested.

Maybe people are interested in an old exotic breed and giving it a go working, same as some people enjoy hunting with terrier breeds that are not worked much now. You wouldn't expect them to be as goo

Posted Images

Just thought about it. As a kid I'd see sloughis and azawakhs in the saluki books/mags and they always got my attention, the same as smooth desert bred salukis. My mother is the same with pharaoh hounds..

Edited by Gilbey

One I was interested in when younger was a Tasy a Russian greyhound that I read about, they hunted hare, wildcat and wolf. Also Plott hounds interested me but there wouldn't be much game for them here in Oz. I enjoyed the vid Welsh red put up on here on bear hunting with them.

Just the saluki for me...growing up I always fancied going to the middle East and living with bedouin...travelling round and hunting with them...

But I always fancied running a pure greyhound as well..not really exotic though

Them azwarki...and some of them other breeds are bloody ugly so could never own one

• Like 1

I was judging at the Yorkshire Game Fair and a woman had a small, well, small for a borzoi bitch, about 26”. It certainly looked like it could do a job, but who knows 

I remember a pair of Ibizan hounds having a run at my local whippet track, the most ungainly, slowest running type I’ve ever seen

One of the nicest looking lurchers I’ve ever seen was at Appleby Fair, a first cross Afghan hound/greyhound, but the owner said it had never ran anything, it was a pet.

It would have to be an import from working lines for me, the KC running types in the UK are too far removed from their working ancestors.

Cheers.

I watched the crufts hound group just gone, most of the runners were weird freaky things you wouldn't have given. Sure the two I've mentioned used to be more saluki like, maybe not??‍♂️ 

The flyball dogs are better mind, lots of non ped whippet types

• Like 1
5 hours ago, stevemac said:

apart from you all being very set in your ways with Ibizan and pharoah would be very handy with all the rabbit hunting you all doing.

A friend of my mum's in the late 1970s had a Ibizan, they lived on a smallholding and said it caught a lot of rabbits mouching on its own. Unfortunately it wasn't ferret wise so the one time we visited with my ferrets and terriers it was obvious he couldn't get involved so I didn't see it work. Nice looking dog though 

My introduction to running dogs was an ex track greyhound found jointly by me and my mate out with airguns .It was a power house of explosive speed and hunting ability that had lead dormant in the hands of track lads .

We never trained it ,never gave it a name but by feck it put some gear to bed .That grey covered a lurcher of breeding unknown and there it was .

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

My introduction to running dogs was an ex track greyhound found jointly by me and my mate out with airguns .It was a power house of explosive speed and hunting ability that had lead dormant in the hands of track lads .

We never trained it ,never gave it a name but by feck it put some gear to bed .That grey covered a lurcher of breeding unknown and there it was .

Where was it

• Haha 1