APBT x wheaten

4 minutes ago, C.green said:

Ive heard pf a few people breeding bull into bushing dogs just lately someone mustve seen something good in it to do it 

Bull blood steadys up a dog bull/russells were always handy dogs,Id a APBT/laky bitch years ago turn cover up side down but too hard for her own good to ground,I wouldnt add bull blood to a busher on purpose though.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a new pup join the ranks . Been here 2 weeks now and settling in nicely. Was a little noisy in the kennel for the first week but now as quiet as a mouse . 4 month old APBT x wheaten bred by my fri

Exactly not about the terrier about working the strong dogs.  This is my pups grandsire on a trip to Spain last year hunting boar in the Basque region. He performed very well but alas being what he

Pups coming along well . Fitted in well with the other dogs and responding well to her training . Just been concentrating on livestock training and environmental exposure. Not got any complaints about

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Hatch28 said:

Ive got black terriers working away, couldnt dream of letting them off the lead absolute head bangers,but does that make them good terriers?,I am well aware of the difference in a busher and an earth dog an out and out busher doesnt go to ground but a good digging terrier will and should hunt cover,I bushed wheatons,biggest problem I seen with them is they would mess around at a rabbit holes and hold the show up ,theres being a few men I new of that worked strong dogs off the lead with out any real issue,oh and those lurchers that are going to ground that usually comes about from clowns bringing them to diggs thats not their job, a lurcher has no place at a dig.

I wouldn’t knock your black dogs for not being good bushers aslong as there good under the sod that’s all that matter . Can’t get my head around using a Wheaton for bushing or a full bull. Would you not have problems with sheep/cattle , for a start a wheatens would be to big and fukxing hairy for right cover a briars. He’d be slow as fuvk on a line of a fox. Am I agree no place for a lurcher around an earth however it has happened in certain cases. Doing cover during the day slip your dog course it and ends up in a hole. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sionnach99 said:

I wouldn’t knock your black dogs for not being good bushers aslong as there good under the sod that’s all that matter . Can’t get my head around using a Wheaton for bushing or a full bull. Would you not have problems with sheep/cattle , for a start a wheatens would be to big and fukxing hairy for right cover a briars. He’d be slow as fuvk on a line of a fox. Am I agree no place for a lurcher around an earth however it has happened in certain cases. Doing cover during the day slip your dog course it and ends up in a hole. 

I fault them for it because you cant turn them loose on a big spot and let them drop in where they want,they do their job but not all round working terriers,I had no problem with the wheatens I had they wouldnt look at cattle ,never had them near sheep and no dog should ever be out from the owners collie,working a wheaton in briars is no different than any other dog their ears and head will bare the brunt,as for a full pit never even tried and I wouldnt they will stick in a cow or horse or what ever,theres a big difference in a wheatens temperment and a staff or pit,there was some one on here before that worked staffs of the lead I think it was cooney if memory serves me right.

On 12/05/2023 at 21:37, sionnach99 said:

Just curious to as why lads would do this cross and I’m not having a dig at anyone, each to their own but would u not be best off with a pure bulldog or a proper Wheaton, what’s the point of the cross diluting blood. I know you can say to give a better coat but if you want a dog with jacket why not keep full wheatons? And if you need put gameness into your wheatons and feel the need for bull blood well then I’d be questioning that line of dogs to begin with?? Surely you wouldn’t keep a bitch and tell yourself well she’s not great but fuvk it it’s a Wheaton I’ll just throw a bull over it and hope for good pups?? Why keep that dog at all ?? It’s gonna crop up its head again down the line. I never kept either breed just my opinion 

I’m the owner of the pup. My friend bred the litter to add an outcross to his wheatens as the blood is very tight and very inbred as most genuine working wheatens are . This certainly was not the case of just using what was readily available and putting any old dog to any old dog . The bull bitch was from excellent stock and the wheatens very well worked . If any of the 6 pups he gifted out ( mine included in that ) do what they are supposed to do then he may put back to his wheatens . The man has plenty of money , plenty of game to hunt and travels all over Europe working and testing his dogs so can do things with his dogs that most of us unfortunately cannot do . 

• Like 2

The pups doing great . she has great nerve nothing seems to phase her. Settled in with my dogs now , found her place in the pecking order . Seems to have teamed herself up with my bandog male . Very intelligent little pup,,only have to tell her once or twice and seems to cotton on. Took a few sessions for her to grasp that my horses are to be ignored but no problems with that . Easy dog to have round you. Quiet in the kennel and a nice off switch in the house . A real easy keeper so far . Well pleased i decided to keep her instead of ending her back to Ireland 

0915242C-E6C1-4F46-A1BD-7811AD654DC5.png

• Like 12
1 hour ago, Hannibal3 said:

I’m the owner of the pup. My friend bred the litter to add an outcross to his wheatens as the blood is very tight and very inbred as most genuine working wheatens are . This certainly was not the case of just using what was readily available and putting any old dog to any old dog . The bull bitch was from excellent stock and the wheatens very well worked . If any of the 6 pups he gifted out ( mine included in that ) do what they are supposed to do then he may put back to his wheatens . The man has plenty of money , plenty of game to hunt and travels all over Europe working and testing his dogs so can do things with his dogs that most of us unfortunately cannot do . 

Wish you all the best hope works out for you

• Like 1
On 17/05/2023 at 00:31, Hatch28 said:

Ive got black terriers working away, couldnt dream of letting them off the lead absolute head bangers,but does that make them good terriers?,I am well aware of the difference in a busher and an earth dog an out and out busher doesnt go to ground but a good digging terrier will and should hunt cover,I bushed wheatons,biggest problem I seen with them is they would mess around at a rabbit holes and hold the show up ,theres being a few men I new of that worked strong dogs off the lead with out any real issue,oh and those lurchers that are going to ground that usually comes about from clowns bringing them to diggs thats not their job, a lurcher has no place at a dig.

If your after foxes a lurcher has every right to be at a dig. 

And I don't mean to be used as draw dogs either. 

Edited by dogmandont
  • Like 4
19 hours ago, dogmandont said:

Yea but a lurcher used for foxes wouldnt be much good if it was going to ground on you,that sort have no business at a dig.Any half decent fox lurcher Ive ever seen would be waiting for a bolt not going to ground.

5 minutes ago, undertaker said:

Isn't that they ways that storm is bred

Maybe I wouldn’t know . As far as I’m aware the fella that owns storm didn’t get him until he was 15 months old so I wouldn’t imagine he knows his exact breeding himself . 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Hatch28 said:

Yea but a lurcher used for foxes wouldnt be much good if it was going to ground on you,that sort have no business at a dig.Any half decent fox lurcher Ive ever seen would be waiting for a bolt not going to ground.

Ah lad, any good fox lurcher willl go through a fukcing wall to get at his game and if he doesn’t bye bye. So your telling me if a fox leaves cover and you slip your dog he courses it and the fox runs in you expect the dog to pull up and wait for you to come for a bolt fcuk that. Good dog will be shifting soil trying to get up and if it’s small enough dog and a big enough spot he’s gone. I’d disagree with you any decent lurcher I’ve seen will stop at nothin to get at his game . And if he does he’s no good to me. 

• Like 2
On 20/05/2023 at 21:30, dogmandont said:

Your dead right . Aslong as it’s done fairly I agree with you 100%

• Like 1