APBT x wheaten

55 minutes ago, Hatch28 said:

I dont think its the fact that it got too dangerous to keep them I think it was  the fact that they are one trick pony and a handful to manage,its dangerous keeping marked up terriers but yet they are favoured and have become harder in recent times,theres more people about me with either wheatons or pits than there are lurchers.

Most guys I know are now trying for a more sensible dog around them as guys now are going to prison for keeping badly marked up dogs , what once was a slap in the wrist now carries a custodial sentence in cases wer it’s evident that people have been up to no good , suppose it’s everyone’s personal preference as to the working type they wish to kennel but one things for sure the laws starting to change and all against the working dog man , soon be nearly impossible to keep a harder type , more the pity .and as for being caught nowadays with any big dogs in a field along side terriers your gna have a very hard case to answer 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a new pup join the ranks . Been here 2 weeks now and settling in nicely. Was a little noisy in the kennel for the first week but now as quiet as a mouse . 4 month old APBT x wheaten bred by my fri

Exactly not about the terrier about working the strong dogs.  This is my pups grandsire on a trip to Spain last year hunting boar in the Basque region. He performed very well but alas being what he

Pups coming along well . Fitted in well with the other dogs and responding well to her training . Just been concentrating on livestock training and environmental exposure. Not got any complaints about

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Jackmo said:

Your a 100% , people know what they are , just look at these Facebook pages who some have tens of thousands of followers and only a very very small minority of people if ur lucky are actually hunting people and vast majority of the guys who own them have never been on a days digging or lurcher work in their lives but they are promoting working dogs be it terriers , wheatens lurchers to people who has no business knowing what they’re for.

The problem is the idiots that post pictures of marked up dogs and videos of their dogs working game all over social media and then up on BBC documentaries

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Setenta said:

The problem is the idiots that post pictures of marked up dogs and videos of their dogs working game all over social media and then up on BBC documentaries

Your bang on with that I’d have a guess that is what will put the final nail in the coffin and most of these fools are outa dogs as quick as they came into them but the shit they cause while in dogs paints the picture of everyone for Joe Public , but I was replying to one of the lads commenting on whether people know what the purpose of any of these dog types is for and in my opinion it certainly doesn’t help the genuine guys who want no attention brought to them by these sort of Facebook  dog enthusiasts/historians or what ever they class themselves all because they have an interest in dogs .

11 hours ago, Jackmo said:

Your bang on with that I’d have a guess that is what will put the final nail in the coffin and most of these fools are outa dogs as quick as they came into them but the shit they cause while in dogs paints the picture of everyone for Joe Public , but I was replying to one of the lads commenting on whether people know what the purpose of any of these dog types is for and in my opinion it certainly doesn’t help the genuine guys who want no attention brought to them by these sort of Facebook  dog enthusiasts/historians or what ever they class themselves all because they have an interest in dogs .

I agree with you to some extent but the majority of the people on them pages are pet owners. They aren’t the ones posting incriminating photos and videos for the antis and the police to use. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Setenta said:

I agree with you to some extent but the majority of the people on them pages are pet owners. They aren’t the ones posting incriminating photos and videos for the antis and the police to use. 

?‍♂️exactly but do you believe that pet owners have any business of knowing what goes on with working dogs ? ? In my experience the ones who post these silly videos and photos have Little to nothing to lose or else there just brain dead b*****ds and have very little regard for anybody else , but we will agree to disagree you seem to be a fan of promoting dogs on Facebook to a none working audience I’m not so there’s very little else I can say .

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Jackmo said:

?‍♂️exactly but do you believe that pet owners have any business of knowing what goes on with working dogs ? ? In my experience the ones who post these silly videos and photos have Little to nothing to lose or else there just brain dead b*****ds and have very little regard for anybody else , but we will agree to disagree you seem to be a fan of promoting dogs on Facebook to a none working audience I’m not so there’s very little else I can say .

Not sure how you’ve taken that from what I’ve said. I’m simply saying that it’s the idiots that end up on BBC documentaries that are giving the antis and the Police what they need. Some pet owners may or may not know what goes on but they aren’t the ones posting incriminating evidence all over the internet. Anyway, we will agree to disagree.

On 14/05/2023 at 20:33, Hatch28 said:

I dont think its the fact that it got too dangerous to keep them I think it was  the fact that they are one trick pony and a handful to manage,its dangerous keeping marked up terriers but yet they are favoured and have become harder in recent times,theres more people about me with either wheatons or pits than there are lurchers.

That’s a crazy statement, there’s good men who dedicated their life to breeding and working strong dogs (again there not my thing never had one) . You can say there a one trick pony I say they were bred for a job and done well at it. If that’s the case isn’t a digging terrier a one trick pony hardly gonna go out shooting pheasants over it are you? Or heard sheep with it. They do the job they were bred for nothing more nothing less. A lot of lads got out of them because it got too hot and would be ruined if they were caught. Their families life’s damaged too from it. Every breed of dog can be looked at as a one trick pony but I’d rather a dog that does one trick but gives it it’s all.  Atb sionnach.

• Like 10

As much as it pains me to say it the days of standing round a hole working strong dogs is well and truly over and has been for a long time, the true enthusiasts have been replaced by Facebook fckwits with camera phones, they've basically creep into every aspect of hunting with dogs and ruined it as they went. 

No one else is to blame for our downfall but ourselves. 

• Like 8
11 hours ago, dogmandont said:

As much as it pains me to say it the days of standing round a hole working strong dogs is well and truly over and has been for a long time, the true enthusiasts have been replaced by Facebook fckwits with camera phones, they've basically creep into every aspect of hunting with dogs and ruined it as they went. 

No one else is to blame for our downfall but ourselves. 

100%. 99% of lads on those pages are part timers. Only do a bit in the season to get a picture of a dog broke up to post. That’s not what it’s about and their painting a bad image for lads who are doing things right. Ruining it for everyone. Surely a way to get those pages down. To late now anyways I’m afraid the damage is done

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, sionnach99 said:

100%. 99% of lads on those pages are part timers. Only do a bit in the season to get a picture of a dog broke up to post. That’s not what it’s about and their painting a bad image for lads who are doing things right. Ruining it for everyone. Surely a way to get those pages down. To late now anyways I’m afraid the damage is done

No such thing as a private site never has been its the american lads can get away with the sites cause the variety game they go after still legal. The only purpose for lads this side setting up private FB sites/groups or private whats app/snapchat groups is for 1 r 2 reasons locating on who has working what lines they are and its either to get  somebody robbed or caught. Iv been guilty myself of posting pics on here  hands up i should of known better.

• Like 4
22 hours ago, sionnach99 said:

That’s a crazy statement, there’s good men who dedicated their life to breeding and working strong dogs (again there not my thing never had one) . You can say there a one trick pony I say they were bred for a job and done well at it. If that’s the case isn’t a digging terrier a one trick pony hardly gonna go out shooting pheasants over it are you? Or heard sheep with it. They do the job they were bred for nothing more nothing less. A lot of lads got out of them because it got too hot and would be ruined if they were caught. Their families life’s damaged too from it. Every breed of dog can be looked at as a one trick pony but I’d rather a dog that does one trick but gives it it’s all.  Atb sionnach.

Well no a good terrier will work cover just aswell as they will work to ground,I had a couple of sensible terriers over the years one russell that stands out could be used for ferreting to rats or rabbits and he was good he'd hunt any ditch bolt foxes for fun from bales or earths,you could work him all night long on rats,he had a hatred for cats he bark on the line of a cat or fox a real useful terrier next doors akita ripped him to pieces in the end,

Ive had pits and wheatons done some bushing will wheatons but I wouldnt rate them and you cant trust them at all.

2 hours ago, Hatch28 said:

Well no a good terrier will work cover just aswell as they will work to ground,I had a couple of sensible terriers over the years one russell that stands out could be used for ferreting to rats or rabbits and he was good he'd hunt any ditch bolt foxes for fun from bales or earths,you could work him all night long on rats,he had a hatred for cats he bark on the line of a cat or fox a real useful terrier next doors akita ripped him to pieces in the end,

Ive had pits and wheatons done some bushing will wheatons but I wouldnt rate them and you cant trust them at all.

Look depends what u in to , Not trying to be insulting but there’s a difference between a digging dog and a bushing terrier. You can mix sand and cement with a shovel don’t make it a belle mixer does it . U wouldn’t let a pack of black dogs into cover to flush foxes . You’ll get lurcher that will go to ground in big place doesn’t mean u have a ‘digging lurcher’ horses for courses . Heavy dogs are what they are they aren’t an all rounder. Who in their right mind would let a game bred pitbull or a working Wheaton off loose for bushing and expect to be able to trust them..

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, sionnach99 said:

Look depends what u in to , Not trying to be insulting but there’s a difference between a digging dog and a bushing terrier. You can mix sand and cement with a shovel don’t make it a belle mixer does it . U wouldn’t let a pack of black dogs into cover to flush foxes . You’ll get lurcher that will go to ground in big place doesn’t mean u have a ‘digging lurcher’ horses for courses . Heavy dogs are what they are they aren’t an all rounder. Who in their right mind would let a game bred pitbull or a working Wheaton off loose for bushing and expect to be able to trust them..

just like today on my dog walk, it common ground, so you get lot of dog walkers use it.  i try to go out on it  after tea time 6-7pm , walk with my old big lurcher Buck , he had couple runs on there the odd fox, but most times nice  quite 1 hour walk . seen a bloke and woman walking towards me, they got dark brindle staff , and red/ tan color apbt = bulldog, i knew what it was , as i was brought with bull breeds,  and had them before. the dog was only young 10 month old, but pulling like feck on the lead , looking at my dog. the lad said it was mixed breed staff  , like feck it was lol. ok he got it on a lead , but i thought, wait till it switches on proper , they know way would walk one over that walk , i know what they like, maybe he thought , he wont get a pull with it  there , than round the towns. dont know what the law today owning them , think the law dda changed, when i had my last bitch out of reid  stuff  15 year ago.

58 minutes ago, sionnach99 said:

Ive got black terriers working away, couldnt dream of letting them off the lead absolute head bangers,but does that make them good terriers?,I am well aware of the difference in a busher and an earth dog an out and out busher doesnt go to ground but a good digging terrier will and should hunt cover,I bushed wheatons,biggest problem I seen with them is they would mess around at a rabbit holes and hold the show up ,theres being a few men I new of that worked strong dogs off the lead with out any real issue,oh and those lurchers that are going to ground that usually comes about from clowns bringing them to diggs thats not their job, a lurcher has no place at a dig.