APBT x wheaten

8 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

ooooh am dying to jump in here but will be a gent and leave it to the chap its directed at ?

Feel free make interesting reading 

• Like 1

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a new pup join the ranks . Been here 2 weeks now and settling in nicely. Was a little noisy in the kennel for the first week but now as quiet as a mouse . 4 month old APBT x wheaten bred by my fri

Exactly not about the terrier about working the strong dogs.  This is my pups grandsire on a trip to Spain last year hunting boar in the Basque region. He performed very well but alas being what he

Pups coming along well . Fitted in well with the other dogs and responding well to her training . Just been concentrating on livestock training and environmental exposure. Not got any complaints about

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Setenta said:

It’s a pointless cross. Two breeds bred together solely to line the owners pockets. This is the same fella who bred his male wheaten to a canary mastiff cross. 

From your perspective why do you feel it’s a pointless cross ? If they guys that breed them feel they can do a job then why not ! I believe their days as a field dog is well over but who am I to judge what people keep/do, I find it interesting there being used on boar and seem to be doing well .

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Jackmo said:

From your perspective why do you feel it’s a pointless cross ? If they guys that breed them feel they can do a job then why not ! I believe their days as a field dog is well over but who am I to judge what people keep/do, I find it interesting there being used on boar and seem to be doing well .

Be a good test for wheatens 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, chesney said:

Be a good test for wheatens 

I dont think boar are any big test.Yeah they can be a bit rough but Ive known of complete curs that would grab and hold boar.Knew of on bitch that was very good on them that wouldnt even touch a poxy little fox single handed.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, downsouth said:

I dont think boar are any big test.Yeah they can be a bit rough but Ive known of complete curs that would grab and hold boar.Knew of on bitch that was very good on them that wouldnt even touch a poxy little fox single handed.

I was mainly just thinking of it been out in a country where its legal to use thst type dog be interesting to see how they would fair  out

23 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

In fairness mine are probably for very different reasons and you lads are far more dedicated " hunters " if you like than i ever will be so not for me to say whats right and wrong really.....im just a purist of the apbt as a breed and cannot see anything another dog breed could possibly add in a situation of violence that wont compromise the qualities the breed is known for.

I reckon the only thing a wheaten would add to a pitbull is coat would be a big plus for some people 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, downsouth said:

I don't think so either, most dogs hate pigs and plenty will tackle them. The whippets will grab them. You need b ig strong dogs if you take pig catching seriously and want your dogs to live a while. Look how many jagd get killed in Europe on boars. Being too game and catching pigs doesn't go hand in hand.

• Like 5

Ch Jihad…maybe all mouth and no trousers,what do you think about modern dogs being strong on bite but no gaminess,or deep gaminess,just chiming in,nice dog by the way,got one here I think has a bit of Wheaton in him,passed the grand sire though who was an Irish import,I had a litter of five out of him last year and one pup was pretty much a smallish Wheaton.Atb

On 09/05/2023 at 00:41, Setenta said:

It’s a pointless cross. Two breeds bred together solely to line the owners pockets. This is the same fella who bred his male wheaten to a canary mastiff cross. 

Wheaten men have being crossing in bull blood for decades and as for making money from them you would be lucky to find good homes for them,you'd get pits for taking away around here.

As far as I know they have added bull blood into many hunting dogs, terriers, pig dogs and even whippets to get that little bit extra, then go back. It's a good thing to add imo as long as it doesn't dominate and alter the original too much and take away the attributes of the original breed.

On 09/05/2023 at 06:56, Hannibal3 said:

Do you know the fella who bred them mate ? If you did I’m quite sure you wouldn’t say it was about money. 
ive had 4 dogs from him now over the past few years and no money has ever changed hands . He had 9 pups from this litter and as far as I’m aware he gifted 6 out and sold 3 so I’m not sure how he is lining his pockets. If he was just churning out pups for money I don’t think he would be messing about with wheatens . They are hardly a money spinner, he would be breeding xl bullies or Merle things 

No I don't but I have heard plenty from lads who know him. Crossing Wheatens with mastiffs sums him up in my opinion.  

On 09/05/2023 at 20:39, downsouth said:

100%, boar hunting is not a test for a Wheaten and a true working Wheaten is the last dog you want around other dogs when they are working. 

On 09/05/2023 at 22:25, C.green said:

I reckon the only thing a wheaten would add to a pitbull is coat would be a big plus for some people 

Yep fair enough.....not sure what you could lose is worth what you gain though but thats part and parcel of crossing dogs i suppose.

• Like 1