Happy farmer ,happy me .

Call from the chicken farmer that there’s been a dig under the sheds again .No birds taken as it either gave up or was disturbed but he knows ,I know ,it will be back .
Put the .223 and the hw100 in the truck and made an effort to get there before dark .With 15 minutes to spare I drive around the other sheds to my parking spot away from the shed that’s getting the attention and walk to the main event . Round a corner of a hedge thermal up and there’s a fox stood looking at me by the exact spot explained by the farmer .I’m about 250 m away and even though the wind is good hes clocked me .Probably slight movement as I got rifle off the shoulder .
Hes away on his toes over the boundary .Have to wait it out for that one but meanwhile let’s thin some rats out ?
Found a shed with the most thermal activity outside and set up the tripod ,screwed in the HW and waited .No bait tonight but managed a reasonable bag .Missed a few then noticed the gauge on 100 was very low despite topping her up pre visit .Seals need doing I guess .Just getting the rats together ,one last scan and there’s Charlie trotting down the farm track towards the shed from earlier .I hurriedly swap over the IR and pard to the C/F and knowing that he’s only got to go through a gap in the hedge he’s right there by the shed .A quick shifty to the gateway and scan ,nothing .Around the shed ,scan ,nothing .So rifle on quad sticks and wait .
From behind me unseen in the dark comes Charlie ,bold as brass and I click him as I’m watching deer in the distance to my right .Fox is only 20 m away .He’s looking at the shed ,knows somethings not right and despite the full moon hasn’t seen me .
Rifles pointing the wrong way so I patiently wait til his senses tell him alls not well and he trots on still unaware of me .
His luck runs out when he gets to about 120 as I’m on him and that’s that .Took me a good half hour to find him in the grass .Grass no longer than 6 inches .I stumbled on him whilst walking back with plans to find him in the morning .It wasn’t a him at all but a large barren vixen .Result and no cubs to look for .

IMG_0186.jpeg.a2d213513a44536e614073b32c4700dc.jpegIMG_0180.jpeg.e6319de3068b9c7a534f9e2dcb2aa939.jpegIMG_0183.jpeg.8943c9e1a59273227c36c1285ecaf165.jpegIMG_0189.jpeg.a9177bb91974673c1f8bcf4087076629.jpegIMG_0195.jpeg.42e93c3799a0dd4ef27913d534654c71.jpeg

• Like 9