Racoons in UK

13 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

They said that about mink though and now they are part if our fauna . Saw an otter again today in an area that holds a few mink . Cool to watch the otter . Too far for a pic on the mobile though . 

Got a couple on trail camera over the winter. Plenty a them round here

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a few pictures of otter on a trail cam of mine , nice animals can ruin a fishery rather quickly mind 

I think your FEO is wrong , as I understand it all birds and animals are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 unless they are a game species which have seasons or a pest species cover

Diane Abbott ? she has history of being bad with numbers ?

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Got a couple on trail camera over the winter. Plenty a them round here

Yes Eddie . I do like watching them despite the reputation. I’ve pulled the cam on the river as that’s all I seem to get . Wanted a mink really but only the back end of two swimming . 
They are soon to divert the river near me to make way for a fecking road bridge . Will be uproar when the local twitchers get wind if it . I was sat in a meeting on another matter when it was discussed . Fecking 1500 houses too .

4 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Yes Eddie . I do like watching them despite the reputation. I’ve pulled the cam on the river as that’s all I seem to get . Wanted a mink really but only the back end of two swimming . 
They are soon to divert the river near me to make way for a fecking road bridge . Will be uproar when the local twitchers get wind if it . I was sat in a meeting on another matter when it was discussed . Fecking 1500 houses too .

I'd be pissed myself to be honest, if that was my local river. Hate seeing the countryside being f****d up by development ?

• Like 6
30 minutes ago, paulus said:

Normally when the otters move into an area the mink move out. 

There’s still sign of mink on the Melksham Avon though Paul as well as otter .I’ve heard that said but the mink can get places an otter never will if it’s fleeing for its life .The otters I’ve caught on cam must travel a huge length of it though as there’s 4 different individuals almost on rotation at two cams 12 miles apart .One is distinct by a fang showing corner of its mouth ,another has a white blaze along its flank .

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Just want y'all to know if y'all get legit racoons....better upgrade your snares , they will chew out those little brass things y'all use 

You don't use rabbit wire on raccoons Wolfdog. That'd be a rookie mistake?

Just now, EDDIE B said:

You don't use rabbit wire on raccoons Wolfdog. That'd be a rookie mistake?

Talked to aloy if guys from the UK who think brass wire is all you need for anything ? showed my snares and was told their ridiculously over built ?

2 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Talked to aloy if guys from the UK who think brass wire is all you need for anything ? showed my snares and was told their ridiculously over built ?

Well that is strange. I've heard the odd lad say he's caught mink in them, but probably caught one by accident, and believes they are therefore good enough for mink?. Also saw a video from a member on here of a fox in one, that was set for rabbits. It was quickly dispatched, before it broke the cable. 

You will hear all sorts wether it be forums, Facebook, YouTube etc.

Facebook is the worst. Saw where someone stuck up a picture of some tracks in snow around a pond, on a trapping page. First bout twenty lads said definitely mink, some said otter. It was bloody rat tracks, clear as day.?

11 hours ago, foxdropper said:

There’s a lad on here swears he saw one running down the street in Durham . Be along later I’m sure .

Yep I saw one at Wittonstall , coming home from lamping at around 4am and saw it walking down the side of the road.  I stopped the car , opened the door and it walked past no more than 3ft away and continued into the garden of a nearby property. 

I think it was just an escapee though as the local police wildlife officers place was just at the top of the bank and he had all sorts of wildlife. 

It was actually on the North East news as the property owners caught it on camera.

• Like 3

....................anyway, do we have them in the UK??  It came as a bit of a surprise to me when I heard they were here, and 5000 in the wild!!!!!!!  That is news to me, I've shot in many parts of the UK and not heard tales or seen any sign of them.

Where are the pictures???

:hmm:

Edited by Deker
  • Haha 1