Breeding in avairy

2 hours ago, jimmy boy said:

Wat about the siskins you had off me any luck with them then 

Alright mate I’ve noticed them feeding each other like you said but haven’t looked like building, they are in a double breeder so might have to put them in the avairy if that’s what you had them in 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He spoke highly of you also mate,i cant take any credit for his demeanour we havent always seen eye to eye but yes his staunch loyalty and manners have never been in question.....even though he settle

Ived literally just logged to ask a very similar question! Ived set up natural hedging inside and outside, should I put some nest pans or cages inside? Ived got linnets, redpoll and bu

some varites can be vey dominate about nest sights but many varieties get on just fine I have two Avairies on mixed birds canaries plus several varieties of finches and soft bills. they seem to do wel

Posted Images

1 hour ago, MrsChamp606 said:

No sign of any building or anything from my bullies, linnets or redpolls 

how soon is it to get worried lol

I heard they start from may so hopefully get something soon 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BEARINATOR said:

Siskins will do better in the aviary all round as well not just getting them feeling secure enough to breed 

Ok thanks I put them in their tomorrow 

• Like 1

It's only may and it's been cold and the weather can't make it mind up,the wild finches are just getting started themselves now there's enough leaf on the trees to help hide their nests.So no need to panic yet people and just give them good food,plenty of choice of nesting pans and places,also different nest materials and give them peace and the rest is up to them... Big good luck to everyone  this year..:victory:..

• Like 1
7 hours ago, fireman said:

It's only may and it's been cold and the weather can't make it mind up,the wild finches are just getting started themselves now there's enough leaf on the trees to help hide their nests.So no need to panic yet people and just give them good food,plenty of choice of nesting pans and places,also different nest materials and give them peace and the rest is up to them... Big good luck to everyone  this year..:victory:..

Ok thanks you to mate 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, fireman said:

Wise words and thanks ? 

• Like 1
On 05/05/2023 at 23:35, fireman said:

True the weather not helping this year , I always say patience mate , it's not a race ? still time get couple rounds in , good luck all, especially any new keepers 

• Like 2
On 05/05/2023 at 23:35, fireman said:

I've got a pair of native goldfinches in the back conifers with young on mate and on a walk yesterday could here some goldfinch young calling to be fed of the parents. An a chaffy hen that's building too in conifers I've been putting bits of nest material down for her 

20230421_115459.jpg

• Like 1

I was watching a pair of goldies at work this week building in some ivy in a ash tree as it goes and before now iv'e had redpolls with young end of feb outside but it is a funny year weather wise and weather does have a massive effect on captive birds.. I do miss this time of year with the birds with waiting to see what happens although the stress i don't miss when it don't happen but as with all livestock keeping you will not win them all and again the very best of luck to you and everyone else mate..

• Like 2
8 hours ago, fireman said:

I was watching a pair of goldies at work this week building in some ivy in a ash tree as it goes and before now iv'e had redpolls with young end of feb outside but it is a funny year weather wise and weather does have a massive effect on captive birds.. I do miss this time of year with the birds with waiting to see what happens although the stress i don't miss when it don't happen but as with all livestock keeping you will not win them all and again the very best of luck to you and everyone else mate..

No chance you'll get back into the birds at some point mate ?....you have a lot of knowledge seems a shame if the interest is still there.

The nephew is having another good season was round there last week must have at least 30 young out of 6 or 7 pairs....only Canaries like but enjoying the hobby all the same :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, fireman said:

True mate a few pals of mine have paired there goldfinches up and nothing. Like you say it's a funny year been like this past few years weather wise but saying that last year I had a good year starting end of April. This year I've one pair of goldfinches on eggs few mouthing like they do when pairing. Over 50 timbrado canaries which a let them have the first round then if need be a will use them as feeders..

• Like 1
21 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

No chance you'll get back into the birds at some point mate ?....you have a lot of knowledge seems a shame if the interest is still there.

The nephew is having another good season was round there last week must have at least 30 young out of 6 or 7 pairs....only Canaries like but enjoying the hobby all the same :thumbs:

I will get some birds at some point in the not to far future, i just got a bit to much on to give them the time i'd want to give them but in the next few years will see me on a aviary build.

That's grand news and he's doing just right with those numbers for sure and please wish him well from me as like i said before a man of total manners and glad he's doing well with the hobby.. Grab some pics the next time your there and what sort of canaries does he keep?..