Buck your ideas up

On 15/05/2023 at 09:13, philpot said:

I have never shot a deer so forgive my ignorance but what do you mean when you say it was ' clean ' as I can't work that one out. 

We have a lot of deer in the part of Lincolnshire where I live, in fact I have seen quite a few wander into the village and many a night when I have been out on the rabbits, the deer showing up on the nv were only 40 - 50 yds away.  The ones we have thought of shooting are the muntjac which are getting more common but not sure if an hmr would be suitable as I only have .22lr, sako quad with hmr and wmr barrels.  I was told the muntjac are a bit of a bugger to skin, is that true.

Phil

No rimfire is legal to shoot muntjac with. .22 centre fire is the minimum.

• Like 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I’d do a little write up on here as I haven’t bothered much lately as not many come on now anyway over the past week or so I’ve been out a bit after a roe to fill the freezer, as we

I was out 1st light this morning, shot 2 saw 7 bucks. Seems to be a good year for bucks.    

Shot on the 1st, butchered and vac packed on the 2nd, divy’d out on the 3rd 

Posted Images

20 hours ago, ianm said:

No rimfire is legal to shoot muntjac with. .22 centre fire is the minimum.

Ah thank you Ian, I didn't know that. I am feeling relieved that I have not attempted to go for any in that case and I am not going for a centrefire as it is just not worth doing so for me, I am happy to see them around the perms anyway. It was just a thought.

Phil

• Like 1
On 15/05/2023 at 09:13, philpot said:

I have never shot a deer so forgive my ignorance but what do you mean when you say it was ' clean ' as I can't work that one out. 

We have a lot of deer in the part of Lincolnshire where I live, in fact I have seen quite a few wander into the village and many a night when I have been out on the rabbits, the deer showing up on the nv were only 40 - 50 yds away.  The ones we have thought of shooting are the muntjac which are getting more common but not sure if an hmr would be suitable as I only have .22lr, sako quad with hmr and wmr barrels.  I was told the muntjac are a bit of a bugger to skin, is that true.

Phil

You are spoiled with shooting down there ? I’ve just had an invite to go out on the munty’s  around Gedney, just need to get my work/ life balance in order 

• Like 1

Out again yesterday afternoon culling on my mates spot. 

I spied a buck around 4pm a long way off and hatched a plan to see if we could catch up with him. Anyway after a great , rewarding long stalk we were eventually around 120 yds away , up on sticks and my mate took him. 

Carried on and later on in the evening came  across another 4 pointer.

All the bucks we have shot on this ground have poor antler quality so we are hitting them hard to weed out the rubbish. There are far too many bucks on the ground which I think is the reason the quality is poor..rubbish breeds rubbish. 

Be interesting to see if they improve in future years or if the genetics are just poor anyway.

20230521_170626.jpg

20230521_194557.jpg

20230521_211149.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

IMG_3838.jpeg.71cdb38fa9e9405159a4ec363d9cfc99.jpeg

This lad will medal well imo unless he loses his spot to another next door .Already been some fighting ,I witnessed tail end of a rut few nights back and this lad won by a majority even though the other was bigger bodied .

• Like 2
4 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Your getting a few there mate .Got a Hungarian gent coming over middle of the rut .He wants a bronze silver and a gold so need to do some homework.Funnily enough the gold isn’t the worry it’s a bronze lol.

No pressure there mate. Any chance of you going over to Hungary ?