Advice on jills in season

Hi just some advice please last year I got 1 Jill jabbed twice as she came back in, now I’ve got 3 and I didn’t manage to find a hob to vasectomise over the winter so now I have one Jill that is fully in season 1 that is half and 1 that is just starting, I know some people just keep the cage clean and take the risk but I would prefer to be on the safe side, I’m keeping the cage clean at the minute and thinking instead of getting 2 jabs could I wait until mid summer around end of may to get them jabbed so I only have to do it the once that would mean they have been in season a few months, I also try and let them outside but as it’s muddy I don’t think it’s the best incase it infects should I be letting them out does mud infect the same as a dirty cage?? As they need exercise. Thanks ?

them jabs are next to useless, everytime I've taken Jill's to get them I end up losing a few ...bit the bullet and finally got my hob done.... no more stress,he's probably serviced 15 different Jill's so far,my mate keeps a few entire hobs,use them over the jills when we need replacement stock,not taking Kitts from any of my 6 Jill's this season ?

• Like 1

Some time ago the advice on keeping these hormones changed, they don't last very long once opened even in the vets fridge. I think old hormone is one reason some jills come out of season. At the moment I don't have a vasectomised hob so I am using jabs and it's fine, last year none of 4 Jill's came back in. However I bought a whole vial at my own risk as vet said they would not do any followup unless it was either new hormone or my material in their fridge

I try to wait until all are ready, but don't leave it too long as once they are full in season it's the right time. . another 6 to 8 weeks is too long and unfortunately I have lost a very good Jill to anemia waiting too long. 

2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

them jabs are next to useless, everytime I've taken Jill's to get them I end up losing a few ...bit the bullet and finally got my hob done.... no more stress,he's probably serviced 15 different Jill's so far,my mate keeps a few entire hobs,use them over the jills when we need replacement stock,not taking Kitts from any of my 6 Jill's this season ?

And a very happy hob ?

Have mine done every year and have done for years no problems. I alway wait a few weeks after they are all in season then get them done. If they come back into season its late and I leave them to come out of season themselves. I organise that two mates bring their Jill's down to the vets at the same works out a lot cheaper.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2