Map Coordinates

I've got a cheapy tomtom satnav and that takes coordinates as well as postcodes. If you right-click on anywhere on google maps it brings up the coordinates at the top of the dropdown menu and if you just google the coordinates it brings up the right place on the map.

4 hours ago, dytkos said:

I learned to read maps and use a compass in the scouts, over 500 years ago, with all the tech at my disposal nowadays, I haven't a scooby what the What Three Words is ?‍♂️ 

Cheers, D.

Fair play mate that’s some time

ago 

• Haha 4

I learned how to use map co ordinates when I was sub contracting for southern gas and would have to go out in the country and find  certain points on a high pressure gas main that for example would go from the Isle of grain finish in Hastings.Wed be given a list of coordinates a map and a catscan.Its great that we now have all this modern technology on our phones but whe.shit goes wrong and you're in the middle of nowhere with no signal or your battery dies you still cant beat a good old fashioned map and knowing how to read it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To read a map properly you need a basic roamer imo ..

On night navigation rally's there's boys having to use them during the rally to get from a to b through certain checkpoints .

The easiest thing to help you navigate is to measure 100m exactly with a tape 

mark the distance with a cricket wicket pole etc . 

Stand at one, legs together and walk the distance to the other one and record how many times your left heel strikes the floor . 

thats called pacing .you will then be able to judge how far you’ve travelled or need to travel relatively easily through manipulating naismiths rule . 

map reading and navigation , I’d one of those skills where you may need it one day and people think they can do it , where as in reality , like pull ups , the only thing that makes you good at reading maps , is reading maps . 

Get your self a good compass , map and Go to a familiar area and micro nav (short legs ) around and youll see how difficult it is . 

im not bad at navving but find myself increasingly reliant upon using a garmin e-trek these days ti check grids . However , what you have to understand is that I guarantee when you need it , that gps will fail , and then what ? 

Naving isn’t a dark art , it’s a skill that requires constant refreshing and practice to reach sme status 

as was mentioned earlier , there’s a perverse satisfaction imho from holding a map in a map case , turning that dial on the compass to red in the bed and knowing that if you March on a bearing of 2350 ‘ for 120mins or 8 km you’ll be back in the car park just before tea time  ?

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

The easiest thing to help you navigate is to measure 100m exactly with a tape 

mark the distance with a cricket wicket pole etc . 

Stand at one, legs together and walk the distance to the other one and record how many times your left heel strikes the floor . 

thats called pacing .you will then be able to judge how far you’ve travelled or need to travel relatively easily through manipulating naismiths rule . 

map reading and navigation , I’d one of those skills where you may need it one day and people think they can do it , where as in reality , like pull ups , the only thing that makes you good at reading maps , is reading maps . 

Get your self a good compass , map and Go to a familiar area and micro nav (short legs ) around and youll see how difficult it is . 

im not bad at navving but find myself increasingly reliant upon using a garmin e-trek these days ti check grids . However , what you have to understand is that I guarantee when you need it , that gps will fail , and then what ? 

Naving isn’t a dark art , it’s a skill that requires constant refreshing and practice to reach sme status 

as was mentioned earlier , there’s a perverse satisfaction imho from holding a map in a map case , turning that dial on the compass to red in the bed and knowing that if you March on a bearing of 2350 ‘ for 120mins or 8 km you’ll be back in the car park just before tea time  ?

A basic roamer is a really good aid when map reading if you want to be precise.. 

I learnt how to use one for doing night navigation rally's 

Screenshot_20230401-220340.jpg.37c0cb70721e21d1ab4a7615358b7d1b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1