Map Coordinates

Having asked a few of my equally divvy friends and getting nowhere,and not having an absolute Scooby what Google is going on about......thought id ask some of you outdoors SAS types what its all about.......i had to meet a chap in the middle of nowhere last week and while trying to explain to me over the phone where he was he asked if i wanted him to text me the " map coordinates ".........not wanting to look like a simpleton i said " yes great thanks "..........i thought i was going to get some sort of postcode i could then put into my sat nav but instead i get a bunch of mumble jumble numbers that meant absolutely nothing to me........in the end i resorted to good old fashioned finding a human being who knew where he was  ( a postman in this case ).....and getting directions......but for future reference,what exactly should i have been doing with these numbers ?........what does it all mean ?

Map co-ordinates are measurements of the lines of latitude and longitude, measured in degrees and minutes.

Where the two lines intersect is your meeting point point. 
I think post codes and “my three words”. are a lot easier.

Cheers.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Greyman said:

Was going to say what 3 words is what everyone is using nowadays, longitude and latitude is so last year ? 

While im all for tech im an old school kind of guy and just wanted to get to grips with the old ways first.........seems like everyone i ask says map coordinates are old hat but nobody seems able to tell me how to use them !

19 minutes ago, TOMO said:

Can't you type in map coordinates in to a sat nav...or Google maps...does this work

That was what i thought the geezer had sent me them for......but my sat nav didnt seem to know what i was trying to do.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

While im all for tech im an old school kind of guy and just wanted to get to grips with the old ways first.........seems like everyone i ask says map coordinates are old hat but nobody seems able to tell me how to use them !

I,m much like you mate don’t even have a smart phone if I,m going somewhere I look on google earth take a couple of screenshots on my iPad and off I go so I,m afraid I,m of no use at all really apart from everyone tells me I need three little words as I,m off on my own own in remote places a lot ?

1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Hard to explain without showing someone in person but if you look at a map book or A to Z you will have letters and numbers along the bottom and down the side of the pages which you tally up with the co ordinates that youve been given.You find the coresponding co ordinates and where they cross that is where you head for.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1