Heat lamps

Not looking for other recommendations eg saying get a tube heater etc, just want a lamp for switching on briefly when the dogs get back from work and they are wet etc, give them a blast to dry off and warm up before bedding down. 

Does it make a difference which lamp you get? 

Does the bulb matter? 

These ones on sale are cheap, I was thinking just buy the shade and get a ceramic bulb separate as I am sure I read ceramic bulbs are better? Maybe that the glass bulbs can shatter but the ceramic ones don’t? 

Also if you get a 250w shade and 250w bulb, with the reduced switch, assume it would just be like using a 125w bulb when switched onto the half setting (sounds obvious don’t it but just checking). 

This looks like a decent buy but if it’s just going to be cheap crap I’d rather buy a better one - 

WWW.DOGHEALTH.CO.UK

Introducing the Pauls Pet Care from Doghealth infrared radient heat lamp, "Bought 2 of these lamps for my...

14 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Not looking for other recommendations eg saying get a tube heater etc, just want a lamp for switching on briefly when the dogs get back from work and they are wet etc, give them a blast to dry off and warm up before bedding down. 

Does it make a difference which lamp you get? 

Does the bulb matter? 

These ones on sale are cheap, I was thinking just buy the shade and get a ceramic bulb separate as I am sure I read ceramic bulbs are better? Maybe that the glass bulbs can shatter but the ceramic ones don’t? 

Also if you get a 250w shade and 250w bulb, with the reduced switch, assume it would just be like using a 125w bulb when switched onto the half setting (sounds obvious don’t it but just checking). 

This looks like a decent buy but if it’s just going to be cheap crap I’d rather buy a better one - 

WWW.DOGHEALTH.CO.UK

Introducing the Pauls Pet Care from Doghealth infrared radient heat lamp, "Bought 2 of these lamps for my...

I found the 250 watt ceramic bulbs the best, they throw off more heat and last longer than the infa red 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, jigsaw said:

Yes,....4 to 5 feet above them,just gentle heat to keep em warm and comfortable 

From my experience there would be very little heat being felt from that height, if it’s cold enough for it to be needed to be on it should be around 2 to 2 and a half feet above the bed, even at that height you don’t feel much heat if you hold  your hand under it at the same level as the dog would be but if you turn your head to the side and put your face by where the dog would be and leave it there for a few seconds you can feel the heat more, I find that the best way to gauge what height to put the lamp

• Like 3

I usually judge by my hand ,I've had it lower before and thought the dog was panting a bit more than I was happy with,your probably right but it did fine for the pups that time,

• Like 1
On 23/03/2023 at 05:18, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

From my experience there would be very little heat being felt from that height, if it’s cold enough for it to be needed to be on it should be around 2 to 2 and a half feet above the bed, even at that height you don’t feel much heat if you hold  your hand under it at the same level as the dog would be but if you turn your head to the side and put your face by where the dog would be and leave it there for a few seconds you can feel the heat more, I find that the best way to gauge what height to put the lamp

It’s just arrived and I put it in the kennel; even when on the 250w setting I didn’t think there was much heat being given off. 

On 23/03/2023 at 05:18, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

Same here, eventually settled on a ceramic dull emitter, The red ones just don't last and work out more expensive in the long run.