Mistakes in Natural History programmes

6 hours ago, foxdropper said:

What annoys me is the use of fox calls in other programmes at times of year when they are silent ?

(Lol) that drives me mad, my missus watches some sh*te on the idiot box, the one that springs to mind is Midsummer Murders, when I point it out she just tells me to shut up, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Complained times over the years. A factual programme should at the very least be factual, something that most can never achieve, The standard reply to any complaint is to blame a researcher. easy get out, 

11 minutes ago, paulus said:

Complained times over the years. A factual programme should at the very least be factual, something that most can never achieve, The standard reply to any complaint is to blame a researcher. easy get out, 

I send complaints off to the beeb regularly, just get back standard reply’s though I tend to complain about things like Jimmy saville and there bias reporting rather that a kid being called a fawn or a fox screaming out of season, they just want our money not our opinions it seems ?

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

I send complaints off to the beeb regularly, just get back standard reply’s though I tend to complain about things like Jimmy saville and there bias reporting rather that a kid being called a fawn or a fox screaming out of season, they just want our money not our opinions it seems ?

What was there reply about Saville Paul .

On 20/03/2023 at 16:11, Neal said:

That's a good point. I was wondering if it was because of when the species were introduced to the U.K. i.e in the same way that ox, deer, sheep etc are Anglo Saxon because they farmed them (I think) whereas beef, venison and mutton are french because the Normans said, "Thanks very much; I'll eat that!"

Actually you may be not far out.

Neither might Sir David . Fawn

The word fawn comes from Old French. ( l'm no expert ;  just happen to have l a couple of really old dictionaries) which comes from Latin . Seemingly originally a  term   for foetal , newborn or    suckling offspring (Hence the term "fawning" for sucking up to  someone), it could apply to many species but stayed in common use   as  the generic word for an  immature deer  . Hunting terminology might use fawn more specifically   but it seemingly is valid to use it in a wider sense.

It would be a very archaic but not incorrect use to apply it to a human baby!  

Thinking along those lines ; the word "kid" seems to have taken over in that department.

Which brings us back to the beginning!?

Bloody words ,it's  like entering a circular minefield!?

Edited by comanche
  • Thanks 1