Mistakes in Natural History programmes

Am I the only person who gets annoyed by errors in natural history programmes. My wife says I'm overreacting ( which, to be honest, is probably correct) but it still riles me.

The current one which has caught my attention is calling young roe deer fawns instead of kids. I've now heard it twice in the last few weeks on two different programmes: "Wild Isles" on BBC1 and Channel 5s "Secret Life of the Forest."

It's alright, I've calmed down now. I think I just needed to get it off my chest.?

1 minute ago, Neal said:

Am I the only person who gets annoyed by errors in natural history programmes. My wife says I'm overreacting ( which, to be honest, is probably correct) but it still riles me.

The current one which has caught my attention is calling young roe deer fawns instead of kids. I've now heard it twice in the last few weeks on two different programmes: "Wild Isles" on BBC1 and Channel 5s "Secret Life of the Forest."

It's alright, I've calmed down now. I think I just needed to get it off my chest.?

You must be hearing things neal the "professionals" dont make mistakes?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Francie, said:

You must be hearing things neal the "professionals" dont make mistakes?

I was shouting at the TV, "I don't believe it, even David Attenborough's getting it wrong!"?

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Neal said:

I was shouting at the TV, "I don't believe it, even David Attenborough's getting it wrong!"?

To be honest, I'm pretty much the same lol.

Several times I've noticed it.

I just inwardly groan now, and mumble 'nerk' to myself!!  Lol

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Neal said:

A young roe deer can be called either .. 

22 minutes ago, shaaark said:

To be honest, I'm pretty much the same lol.

Several times I've noticed it.

I just inwardly groan now, and mumble 'nerk' to myself!!  Lol

The use of cgi an gake sets arent very profesional either lol

Dear Mr Angry of Hampshire

A Kid is indeed the name of a young Roe (who decides this), whilst other young deer are calves or fawns.

Seems a bit daft they should be called different things, perhaps you should write a letter!!!

:yes:

• Haha 2

Roe =kids 

fallow =fawns 

red ,sika =calves .

Muntie and CWD = kids 

What annoys me is the use of fox calls in other programmes at times of year when they are silent ?

Also Attenboroughs program depicts fallow bucks from anywhere but Britain as they never that standard here .

• Like 1

According to the BDS Website

SPECIES                         MALE     FEMALE   YOUNG

RED                                  STAG       HIND          CALF

SIKA                                 STAG       HIND          CALF

ROE                                  BUCK      DOE            KID

MUNTJAC                        BUCK      DOE            FAWN

FALLOW                           BUCK      DOE            FAWN

CHINESE WATER DEER   BUCK      DOE            FAWN

Who decides this anyway, and do any of the deer care????

Edited by Deker
43 minutes ago, comanche said:

I guess the clue is in the Latin name Capreolus which means goat-like?. And a baby goat is a.......?

That's a good point. I was wondering if it was because of when the species were introduced to the U.K. i.e in the same way that ox, deer, sheep etc are Anglo Saxon because they farmed them (I think) whereas beef, venison and mutton are french because the Normans said, "Thanks very much; I'll eat that!"