Back to sub 12

My close shooting buddy has had his shotgun and firearms licenses revoked and after a number of calls is not fully aware of the reason, with this in mind, his guns including his pride and joy, FX Crown .22 fac have all been trandferred to our local rfd to be sold.  It is really sad as has been shooting from the age of 9 using a .410 shotgun on the farm where he was born.

Moving on........ It is time to sort out his gear which we will do on Wednesday at the rfd, one of his Pard 008 units is going on my hmr rifle but more to the point he will be getting a new sub 12 which I think is going to be another Crown but this time the 380mm barrel in sub 12   but not sure if it is .177 or .22

This whole episode has really made us both think long and hard about what losing his tickets really means and how it screws with your head however we will rethink all the land we have in order to allow him to still enjoy shooting and I do not want to be shooting with hmr or my wildcat fac when he will not have the same range available to him. We both will be working together for him to get the enjoyment he used to get and if it means I need to alter the way I shoot, so be it.

Phil

• Sad 2

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure this helps any Phil but I`ve let the shot guns go, kept the shot gun licence and gone " forward " to sub 12 shooting only.                   For me, I find sub 12 makes you hunt correctl

My close shooting buddy has had his shotgun and firearms licenses revoked and after a number of calls is not fully aware of the reason, with this in mind, his guns including his pride and joy, FX Crow

The law is a mess  all I can think with that lad without knowing the story is it was revoked for a violent or firearms offence  the lad I know had them revoked for a domestic incident and wa

That is bonkers!   He MUST establish exactly why his FAC/SGC have been revoked!!!

Depending on the answer to that, there may, or may not, be any reason you can't go out together and lend him a rifle whilst in his company!!

• Like 2

Not sure this helps any Phil but I`ve let the shot guns go, kept the shot gun licence and gone " forward " to sub 12 shooting only.

For me, I find sub 12 makes you hunt correctly and puts a hunting challenge onto you if you will.

Never the less I feel sorry for you guys.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

If his fac has been revoked I think you’ll find being around guns of any sort will be stipulated as a no no .I’d say he’s knows full well whips its been taken but wants to play the victim .

He has not been given the 'actual' reasons and has been in touch with the firearms dept who do not know so it is now with his solicitor to try to establish what the reason was. I have known him for many years and doubt he is not telling me certain information as he is so careful about anything to do with shooting and his conduct. 

Phil

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

If his fac has been revoked I think you’ll find being around guns of any sort will be stipulated as a no no .I’d say he’s knows full well whips its been taken but wants to play the victim .

That’s not true, he has had his certificate revoked, not a firearm ban, he can continue to use firearms in the same way anyone who doesn’t possess a SGC or FAC can whether that’s under the supervision of someone who has an FAC, or on the clay ground / club etc, if taken to court and a firearms ban is put in place, that’s completely different 

• Like 1
Just now, Stavross said:

That’s not true, he has had his certificate revoked, not a firearm ban, he can continue to use firearms in the same way anyone who doesn’t possess a SGC or FAC can whether that’s under the supervision of someone who has an FAC, or on the clay ground / club etc, if taken to court and a firearms ban is put in place, that’s completely different 

I agree Stav and as no ban has been put in place, he can continue to shoot but not own guns.

He has now accepted the decision as he has been quoted approx £5 - 6k if he took it to court and cannot afford that but at some time in the future he may want to apply again so it is important to establish the reasons and if they have any grounding. His shooting insurance company have said there are many hundreds of people going through the same thing, it is just a pity that he was not with C3 insurance as he would have had £100k of legal cover but even then would they have really fought for him, his company said there was nothing they could do...............................utter crap when you have paid for your cover over the years then when you need them, they let you down.

Phil

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, philpot said:

I agree Stav and as no ban has been put in place, he can continue to shoot but not own guns.

He has now accepted the decision as he has been quoted approx £5 - 6k if he took it to court and cannot afford that but at some time in the future he may want to apply again so it is important to establish the reasons and if they have any grounding. His shooting insurance company have said there are many hundreds of people going through the same thing, it is just a pity that he was not with C3 insurance as he would have had £100k of legal cover but even then would they have really fought for him, his company said there was nothing they could do...............................utter crap when you have paid for your cover over the years then when you need them, they let you down.

Phil

I'm not getting into the detail or pointing fingers, but lets be clear here, he has NOT been let down, he simply didn't have the legal cover for this or they would have helped, its about reading the small print!!

17 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Must be different rules up there then Stav .Lad down here had his sgc taken off him then arrested for found in possession of a sub 12 air gun .Not his but he was holding it .

The law is truly fecked where firearms are concerned archaic and unjust .

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Must be different rules up there then Stav .Lad down here had his sgc taken off him then arrested for found in possession of a sub 12 air gun .Not his but he was holding it .

That needs more detail, because "fundamentally" ANYONE can hold a sub 12 ft lb air rifle as long as they are not specifically barred.  And basic revocation of a SGC does not bar anyone holding a 12ftlb air rifle!

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

The law is a mess 

all I can think with that lad without knowing the story is it was revoked for a violent or firearms offence 

the lad I know had them revoked for a domestic incident and was told by two forces the same thing, that he could carry on the same as someone who didn’t have a ticket If your licence has been revoked you can continue to shoot, but must only do so in the same way as those who do not hold a certificate. If you wish to discuss the circumstances in which you can continue to shoot without a certificate please contact Ison Harrison

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Deker said:

I'm not getting into the detail or pointing fingers, but lets be clear here, he has NOT been let down, he simply didn't have the legal cover for this or they would have helped, its about reading the small print!!

He has £20k legal cover but the company concerned, made one phone call then said there are loads of people on their books in the same situation, they cannot help. Not exactly what you expect from your provider.

My friend has asked for further clarity but nobody seems able to advise what the issue was hence it is in the hands of the solicitor to establish the reasons and if he has f****d up, so be it but all I can tell you is seriously shocked by this and totally bewildered as to the cause for revoking his tickets.

Phil

5 minutes ago, philpot said:

He has £20k legal cover but the company concerned, made one phone call then said there are loads of people on their books in the same situation, they cannot help. Not exactly what you expect from your provider.

My friend has asked for further clarity but nobody seems able to advise what the issue was hence it is in the hands of the solicitor to establish the reasons and if he has f****d up, so be it but all I can tell you is seriously shocked by this and totally bewildered as to the cause for revoking his tickets.

Phil

He either has cover for this or he doesn't, if he does, they can't refuse him simply because others are in the same position!!!????

????? What same position, having FAC revoked and not being told why??????

Edited by Deker