New to the idea of hunting

Good morning. I've been into, I guess you could call it, 'prepping' for a few years now. As part of this I've become interested in having the ability to hunt for food (and leather). I'm very new to this so any advice would be appreciated. I'm not even sure where to start, whilst not breaking any rules.

I think the best place to start, would be learning how to snare rabbits. Either do some research on how it's done, or find someone who will bring you along, and show you the ropes. I think you need to start there, before moving on to guns etc.

It's a skilled method of hunting, yes, but unlike other methods, (which involve obtaining gun licences etc, etc), you only need snares, land permission, and the know how, to get going.

Rabbits make for good eating too, and in some area's, are plentiful. Also, they can be hunted all year round, so no need to wory about breaking any laws.

Another thing to consider is fishing. Really nice pastime, and nothing like a nice trout, cooked on the open fire.

P.s, welcome to the forum?

Edited by EDDIE B
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

I think the best place to start, would be learning how to snare rabbits. Either do some research on how it's done, or find someone who will bring you along, and show you the ropes. I think you need to start there, before moving on to guns etc.

It's a skilled method of hunting, yes, but unlike other methods, (which involve obtaining gun licences etc, etc), you only need snares, land permission, and the know how, to get going.

Rabbits make for good eating too, and in some area's, are plentiful. Also, they can be hunted all year round, so no need to wory about breaking any laws.

Another thing to consider is fishing. Really nice pastime, and nothing like a nice trout, cooked on the open fire.

P.s, welcome to the forum?

Thank you for the information. I'm in the UK and I think using snares is an offence. It looks like I can legally use cage traps, drop box traps or spring traps so I shall do some research on that.

I am also interested in fishing. My brother used to fish so I'm hoping we can go together at some point. I'm pretty sure I need a fishing licence but they're not expensive.

Thank you for the warm welcome

2 hours ago, Aria Tinworth said:

It's possible I have misunderstood the legality on snares. I think you can use them but not cause unnecessary suffering to the animal so they have to be checked soon after sunrise and before 9am in the summer.

With eating in mind, both grey squirrel and rabbits can be caught with traps legally. You need to research using spring traps though, before going down that road. There is a lot of legislation involved with using these. Snaring rabbits would still be the best option though, for a beginner, IMO.

Checking snares is always better done at first light. Predators, especially buzzards will have them gone, before you get to them.

Edited by EDDIE B
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, The one said:

Hello and welcome mate , It depends where about in the uk you are if Scotland you need asnaring licence 

Thank you!

I'm in Gloucestershire. I don't think I need a licence but I'm going to pop into a hunting shop and have a chat with the people there. I think some animals you need a licence for but not trapping rabbits.

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/03/2023 at 05:54, Aria Tinworth said:

Thank you!

I'm in Gloucestershire. I don't think I need a licence but I'm going to pop into a hunting shop and have a chat with the people there. I think some animals you need a licence for but not trapping rabbits.

RESEARCH!!!!   Sites like this (and there are many others--Pest Control sites worth a look) all add to that, but there is a lot to learn about the countryside and the Law.  I've been doing this a very long time, and professionally, and I'm still learning!

• 2 weeks later...