• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most are in the same format and are only worth keeping for the photographs. D Harcombe's books a bit different and worth reading. D B Plummer? Great reads IMO. Eddie Chapman, all good. But the stand o

Posted Images

Most are in the same format and are only worth keeping for the photographs. D Harcombe's books a bit different and worth reading. D B Plummer? Great reads IMO. Eddie Chapman, all good. But the stand out, the greatest book ever written on working terriers is Lucas' Hunt & Working Terriers.

A window into what must be the "golden age" of terrier work? A time when it was good to be an Englishman before the Sun set on the Empire. Not all Englishmen of course, at that time half of my lot where already grafting down the pits or cannon fodder and the other half were still classed as Irish lowlife immigrants. But what a time it must have been to be alive if you were from that class and wanting to work terriers?

I still aspire to it. That ship has sailed regarding any civilised English speaking country or Ireland. But somewhere, a team of working type Sealyhams, digging and hunting everything that terriers can hunt or be dug to, which almost everything, one day.

Edited by eastcoast
  • Like 8
9 hours ago, eastcoast said:

Most are in the same format and are only worth keeping for the photographs. D Harcombe's books a bit different and worth reading. D B Plummer? Great reads IMO. Eddie Chapman, all good. But the stand out, the greatest book ever written on working terriers is Lucas' Hunt & Working Terriers.

A window into what must be the "golden age" of terrier work? A time when it was good to be an Englishman before the Sun set on the Empire. Not all Englishmen of course, at that time half of my lot where already grafting down the pits or cannon fodder and the other half were still classed as Irish lowlife immigrants. But what a time it must have been to be alive if you were from that class and wanting to work terriers?

I still aspire to it. That ship has sailed regarding any civilised English speaking country or Ireland. But somewhere, a team of working type Sealyhams, digging and hunting everything that terriers can hunt or be dug to, which almost everything, one day.

Surprised nobody mentioned Lucas book as it’s a informative read 

• Like 1
On 16/03/2023 at 18:00, Fox dog said:

I must give harcombe and broadhurst a try thanks DC

Just take the bit where it says’ one dog at a time ‘in Harcombes book with a shovel of salt and the rest is easy reading .

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Second-hand bookshops are a treasure trove for hunting books as let's face it, no publisher is going to take on a new book on the topic these days as the readership pool is somewhat diminished from days gone by.

Got a real gem of a second-hand bookshop in our city and managed to pick up The Terrier's Vocation by Geoffrey Sparrow (1989 reprint from 1949) and Sporting Terriers by Pierce O'Connor (2001 reprint from 1929). 

• Like 1