Paul WhiteHouse troubled waters

10 hours ago, Borr said:

Plastics found in large numbers were determined to be filtration particles from water treatment plants...

Interesting Ive done a google search but cant find anything do you have a link ?

Most large sewage treatment plants work on biological treatment using activated sludge smaller ones do use filtration but this is usually stone. Plastic is sometimes used as a medium but considering the amounts of micro plastics in everyday wash water saying its a issue sewage treatment plants creates is strange and not sure how they can differentiate.

Some of the independent businesses who do on site treatment with a de-watering plant use a polymer this will collect micro plastic but that then creates  the sludge and effluent which has to go to a sewage treatment plant so the problem is just effectively passed on again.      

https://www.euronews.com/green/2023/01/24/france-to-take-legal-action-over-plastic-pellets-causing-an-environmental-nightmare-on-its#:~:text=Last%20year%2C%20tiny%20white%20pellets,to%20make%20everyday%20plastic%20objects. 

I'm wrong but I did read what I stated

13 hours ago, Borr said:

I believe salmon have been found further up the Thames and maybe taff than they've been seen in living memory 

That is only because the EA have asked  the last few years,that anyone who pays for a game rod licence in Wales not to fish for them Joe?..got to submit a catch return,even if you don't fish?...

You can catch folks fishing illegally and ring them....they as much use as a chocolate ?...make a big show of catching and fining a few idiots every yr,start of the season ?

I've found countless nightlines and nets on the Wye/Taff/monnow/rhumney even our private estate lakes and course ponds? ...had to take the law into my own hands with a few other members?

• Like 3
On 14/03/2023 at 07:15, TRUEBRIT66 said:

Im a fanatical fisherman but as some one who works in the liquid waste sector, I will just come at this from a different angle.

I’m not looking for argument or condoning the water companies I think It’s a travesty what is happening to our rivers and streams but waste water treatment plants don’t just treat the sewage we create, they treat the storm water and have to by law treat Leachates from landfill sites, washing from abattoirs, liquid wates from food processing factories, brewery wastes, the packaging your food comes in, even bait making, the list is endless.

As consumers we forget that it is us that create that demand but we fail to accept that in doing that we create a waste that needs to be treated. Milk for example puts a massive strain on the treatment process due to its high COD but let me ask you this, how many of you empty your out of date milk down the drain, wash the oil, grit, salt off your cars/vans maybe even have tipped your waste engine oil straight down the drain when you have done a oil change or your cement mixer washing without giving it a second thought ?

We are dealing with climate change and our tiny little country becoming over populated. More houses are being built and in turn more waste, including liquid waste (domestic and commercial) is being produced.

I don’t think anyone can argue that the water companies don’t make obscene profits but in my local area the water company are attempting to invest that back into the expansion of the local treatment works and this is being blocked at every turn by the locals and no doubt the same people who will complain about raw sewage being discharged into the river!

It’s a extremely complicated situation but sometimes we have to accept that we are part of the problem.

Great post. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...