Paul WhiteHouse troubled waters

Just now, Daniel cain said:

Welsh water are giving 3.5 million pounds to apparently help clean up the Wye and it's tributaries....will take 10/15 yrs to get back to where it was before COVID and the mass sewage releases?

I don’t know where that was to he was talking to the fella in the orvis waders as I missed recording the start but it was just algae covered river bed ?

myself,the club I'm involved with, the Wye and usk foundation and many more groups,not just fishermen etc,have been asking for answers for the last 2 yrs from natural resources Wales/Welsh water about the state of the river....got nowhere until a few celebrities jumped on the bandwagon ?...I can't explain how much the river has changed in 2/3 seasons,gone from catching 150 plus double figure barbel  a season,carp to 30 lb plus ....lads are having blank after blank lucky to get 10 fish a season now? salmon and sewin are almost non-existent on our cameras on the fish passes...I've lost all my will to carry on travelling 80 mile round trips to blank...I'm fortunate enough not to have to buy a season ticket,I feel sorry for all the loyal members who are still spending and can't catch a cold?

• Like 4

The rivers are fcuked and it’s not going to get any better till either something happens that forces the government act or a court case forces the companies to stop which is unlikely at the minute as they are pretty much protected from lawsuits .  When the government had a chance to stop the discharges they decided to go the other way and allow it including the outgoing chairman of the angling trust , sir Charles Walker -mp for Broxbourne . He has decided to step down now he’s been named as someone who voted to allow it . The environment agency are also useless and can’t be trusted to police them and just use their easy excuse , we are underfunded and haven’t got the resources card every time they get questioned on their lack of action . Coincidentally they also have £28m in shares in most of the big water companies 

• Like 1

Im a fanatical fisherman but as some one who works in the liquid waste sector, I will just come at this from a different angle.

I’m not looking for argument or condoning the water companies I think It’s a travesty what is happening to our rivers and streams but waste water treatment plants don’t just treat the sewage we create, they treat the storm water and have to by law treat Leachates from landfill sites, washing from abattoirs, liquid wates from food processing factories, brewery wastes, the packaging your food comes in, even bait making, the list is endless.

As consumers we forget that it is us that create that demand but we fail to accept that in doing that we create a waste that needs to be treated. Milk for example puts a massive strain on the treatment process due to its high COD but let me ask you this, how many of you empty your out of date milk down the drain, wash the oil, grit, salt off your cars/vans maybe even have tipped your waste engine oil straight down the drain when you have done a oil change or your cement mixer washing without giving it a second thought ?

We are dealing with climate change and our tiny little country becoming over populated. More houses are being built and in turn more waste, including liquid waste (domestic and commercial) is being produced.

I don’t think anyone can argue that the water companies don’t make obscene profits but in my local area the water company are attempting to invest that back into the expansion of the local treatment works and this is being blocked at every turn by the locals and no doubt the same people who will complain about raw sewage being discharged into the river!

It’s a extremely complicated situation but sometimes we have to accept that we are part of the problem.

• Like 9

I agree with most of it , but the majority of food and milk effluent treatment is processed onsite in their own plants , excess is paid for . And they're pretty dodgy in there behaviour along with big water companies....

3 hours ago, TRUEBRIT66 said:

Im a fanatical fisherman but as some one who works in the liquid waste sector, I will just come at this from a different angle.

I’m not looking for argument or condoning the water companies I think It’s a travesty what is happening to our rivers and streams but waste water treatment plants don’t just treat the sewage we create, they treat the storm water and have to by law treat Leachates from landfill sites, washing from abattoirs, liquid wates from food processing factories, brewery wastes, the packaging your food comes in, even bait making, the list is endless.

As consumers we forget that it is us that create that demand but we fail to accept that in doing that we create a waste that needs to be treated. Milk for example puts a massive strain on the treatment process due to its high COD but let me ask you this, how many of you empty your out of date milk down the drain, wash the oil, grit, salt off your cars/vans maybe even have tipped your waste engine oil straight down the drain when you have done a oil change or your cement mixer washing without giving it a second thought ?

We are dealing with climate change and our tiny little country becoming over populated. More houses are being built and in turn more waste, including liquid waste (domestic and commercial) is being produced.

I don’t think anyone can argue that the water companies don’t make obscene profits but in my local area the water company are attempting to invest that back into the expansion of the local treatment works and this is being blocked at every turn by the locals and no doubt the same people who will complain about raw sewage being discharged into the river!

It’s a extremely complicated situation but sometimes we have to accept that we are part of the problem.

if the companies are getting paid for the treatment of waste then treat the waste,in my opinion they are no different to the sort of people who do house/garden clearance,get paid for the job then fly tip!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Borr said:

I agree with most of it , but the majority of food and milk effluent treatment is processed onsite in their own plants , excess is paid for . And they're pretty dodgy in there behaviour along with big water companies....

Yep correct but they would still have a discharge consent if pumping direct into sewer or it may be tankered either way my point was it ends up at the treatment plant. Not all wastes are pre-treated some go in raw also, my point was the more waste going into the plant the bigger the strain on the plant to treat it. 

1 hour ago, paddyluke said:

if the companies are getting paid for the treatment of waste then treat the waste,in my opinion they are no different to the sort of people who do house/garden clearance,get paid for the job then fly tip!

Thats the issue if the water company cant take it because they are at the limit imposed by the EA for discharge, where does it go? We are not just talking sewage here a large percentage of what is treated at sewage plants are commercial/trade wastes. If they stopped taking leachates, which can be very difficult to treat the local landfill would shut which in turn would cause its problems. 

Simple fact is we produce far more waste in this country than we can treat safely.        

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, TRUEBRIT66 said:

Yep correct but they would still have a discharge consent if pumping direct into sewer or it may be tankered either way my point was it ends up at the treatment plant. Not all wastes are pre-treated some go in raw also, my point was the more waste going into the plant the bigger the strain on the plant to treat it. 

Thats the issue if the water company cant take it because they are at the limit imposed by the EA for discharge, where does it go? We are not just talking sewage here a large percentage of what is treated at sewage plants are commercial/trade wastes. If they stopped taking leachates, which can be very difficult to treat the local landfill would shut which in turn would cause its problems. 

Simple fact is we produce far more waste in this country than we can treat safely.        

Not really my field, but it seems we were in a better state when the sewage was loaded onto the glen avon and dumped at sea  now it’s just travelling down miles of rivers wiping them out and eventually ending up in the same place ?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Greyman said:

Not really my field, but it seems we were in a better state when the sewage was loaded onto the glen avon and dumped at sea  now it’s just travelling down miles of rivers wiping them out and eventually ending up in the same place ?

Seriously breaks my heart mate. I expect like me you can remember catching minnows in the stream at the back of Baddocks woods when you were a kid? I don't need to tell you that stream is rancid now all the way down to the river and has been for 40 years. 

Sad fact is we have outgrown this island we live on and not just in population but also our wastage. I bet there are not many on here that could say something as simple as they have never tipped their out of date milk down the drain. 

Sewage is reasonably easy to treat its the rest of the crap we produce that's not.  

• Like 3

Tbh they used to chuck all the rubbish straight in the rivers , outside of chemical waste our waters have probably not been cleaner in places like London , valleys and coal mining places, Welsh waters are certainly cleaner than they've been for a hundred years 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Borr said:

Tbh they used to chuck all the rubbish straight in the rivers , outside of chemical waste our waters have probably not been cleaner in places like London , valleys and coal mining places, Welsh waters are certainly cleaner than they've been for a hundred years 

Salmon and trout and otters in rivers that were dead when I was a kid, great for ratting but fck all else back then

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Bakerboy said:

Salmon and trout and otters in rivers that were dead when I was a kid, great for ratting but fck all else back then

River wear in sunderland, second best sea trout River in England, great salmon run, otters in number now,kingfishers, when I was a kid it was foetid. 

• Like 3