RIP to a Legendary British Dogman

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know gamedogs are not to many peoples tastes but a great dogman is a great dogman regardless so on a working dog forum just wanted to pay respects after hearing of the passing of The Plymouth Rock M

Im guessing that would be Nikki ?.....of folk who were around in the late 80's who i may occasionally still have a natter with most say she was the best bitch they ever saw.  

Always nice when a good one has the looks too

Posted Images

5 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

A 6 generation pedigree contains 126 individual dogs.....if none of the 63 dogs on the sires side are the same as the 63 dogs on the dams side how can the resulting dog possibly be considered line bred ?

Use the dog pictured Nikki as a perfect example....her sire was Kane who was a double bred Vogan dog....Vogan was an inbred Nigger dog making Kane a very pure family bred dog......her dam was Teela she was an inbred Nelis dog  ( father/daughter ).....so Kane was a very pure Mayfield dog and Teela was a very pure Nelis dog....not only were they unrelated on paper they carried totally different traits.....the Mayfield dogs of that time tended to be what most of us called " stupid game ".....ridiculously game animals that had very little else.......the Nelis line on the other hand tended to be hard,durable,high ability finishers but quite often with questionable gameness.

The closest common ancestor to each family of dogs was Nigger who was 6 generations behind both lines.....6 generations represents around 1% actual genetic capacity.......both lines stem from the same genetic source but have been bred very differently so to call the end product a " line bred " dog is simply wrong......Nikki was an outcrossed bitch with a shared genetic starting point.

Goodman for the good explanation gnash

• Like 2
5 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

A 6 generation pedigree contains 126 individual dogs.....if none of the 63 dogs on the sires side are the same as the 63 dogs on the dams side how can the resulting dog possibly be considered line bred ?

Use the dog pictured Nikki as a perfect example....her sire was Kane who was a double bred Vogan dog....Vogan was an inbred Nigger dog making Kane a very pure family bred dog......her dam was Teela she was an inbred Nelis dog  ( father/daughter ).....so Kane was a very pure Mayfield dog and Teela was a very pure Nelis dog....not only were they unrelated on paper they carried totally different traits.....the Mayfield dogs of that time tended to be what most of us called " stupid game ".....ridiculously game animals that had very little else.......the Nelis line on the other hand tended to be hard,durable,high ability finishers but quite often with questionable gameness.

The closest common ancestor to each family of dogs was Nigger who was 6 generations behind both lines.....6 generations represents around 1% actual genetic capacity.......both lines stem from the same genetic source but have been bred very differently so to call the end product a " line bred " dog is simply wrong......Nikki was an outcrossed bitch with a shared genetic starting point.

which did you prefer gnash stupid game or with a bit a brain say if that’s the right word 

• Like 1

Like another lad said, never into bulldogs,but what a refreshing topic..condition of that red dog is fantastic.thanks gnash. really enjoy this thread.remember when the site had great information about all sorts..thanks.

• Like 6

I could count on one hand how many pitbullls I've seen, but the sheer physicality of these dogs even just under normal exercise of a house pet, one dog rarely getting so much as a walk around the block on a lead, but still retaining a natural solid muscle density, they always appeared to be as athletic as any working breed of dog if not more 

• Like 4

This thread made me look up an old picture I had of the only pitbull I ever had,and it was good seen the dog again,I got this dog as a teenager off a friend when he split with his Mrs and I was only to happy to take it,I spent hundreds of hours out with this dog just prciking about,I'd love to have him now and do him justice regarding fitness diet etc even though he always looked good and was well walked,bred from some of my cousins and his I law's breeding to a bitch of bo dalys breeding 

Screenshot_20230217_162702_Photos.jpg

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, peterhunter86 said:

This thread made me look up an old picture I had of the only pitbull I ever had,and it was good seen the dog again,I got this dog as a teenager off a friend when he split with his Mrs and I was only to happy to take it,I spent hundreds of hours out with this dog just prciking about,I'd love to have him now and do him justice regarding fitness diet etc even though he always looked good and was well walked,bred from some of my cousins and his I law's breeding to a bitch of bo dalys breeding 

Screenshot_20230217_162702_Photos.jpg

You put a picture up of a staff mate 

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, keepdiggin said:

You put a picture up of a staff mate 

I wish I'd had a staff when I was a kid, I wasn't allowed a dog, one time I got a chance to take a dog for a walk Circa 1987 was a lovely chocolate brown staffy bitch Keela, taking that happy little dog down to the park was one of the few times I didn't get into some kind of trouble, I remember the people who owned her also having a bigger dog Psycho that was always in the back yard, we used to climb up onto the 8 foot wall and have a look at him, think he was a pit, used to see a couple of fellas coming and taking him away now and then

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

I wish I'd had a staff when I was a kid, I wasn't allowed a dog, one time I got a chance to take a dog for a walk Circa 1987 was a lovely chocolate brown staffy bitch Keela, taking that happy little dog down to the park was one of the few times I didn't get into some kind of trouble, I remember the people who owned her also having a bigger dog Psycho that was always in the back yard, we used to climb up onto the 8 foot wall and have a look at him, think he was a pit, used to see a couple of fellas coming and taking him away now and then

I used to take the dog I put a picture up of for walks before he was gifted to me and I loved bringing him up along the canals an through the travellers site's were he always get into a scrap,and there was often a crowd of us standing around waiting for the outcome and he always walked away,I remember one time I was about 17 and I slipped him on this big gsd type and it knocked the bollix out of him I was sick,then he just nailed it like it was nothing 

16 minutes ago, peterhunter86 said:

I used to take the dog I put a picture up of for walks before he was gifted to me and I loved bringing him up along the canals an through the travellers site's were he always get into a scrap,and there was often a crowd of us standing around waiting for the outcome and he always walked away,I remember one time I was about 17 and I slipped him on this big gsd type and it knocked the bollix out of him I was sick,then he just nailed it like it was nothing 

No offence Pete but I won't slip a proper bred pit against a gsd type or any other x it's only going one way eventually and to my untrained eye that's a staff

Edited by Blackmag