Marking

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She started marking this weekend nice and stealthy made my day really flying along now. If she gets down wind of something goes into a sneak checking with me like a little team Likes t

many years ago we were ferreting a ditch in between railway and golf course in Lincolnshire, got 9 rabbits or so, just as dog marked a small sett a chap came up and said have you come for the eels. he

Be one in there 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, terryd said:

081D8C93-C23B-445B-9B6C-6760FC4B3028.png.ed5ca445c700dcb55756c6a50bd83cb8.png

She started marking this weekend nice and stealthy made my day

C05D1DC1-CAF3-49A5-A775-19A63DB9EB6F.png.ee7ae128d9f4550c4803e4800461b386.png

really flying along now. If she gets down wind of something goes into a sneak checking with me like a little team

Likes the squirrels too and quiet as a mouse too even with squirrels bouncing around above her not a whimper 

4ABB94C8-102F-45FD-822B-B4726DAA9478.png.e3fe275158e15e2c2cc1a66bab761bc0.png

I love being around her because apart from being a playful sod she makes it easy

B144D219-8C47-416F-A347-BC7352274FB7.jpeg.edb3d51af67ac85aa6bd08e5f4b74a45.jpeg
0B583D68-0256-41F5-8266-8D9864CBB358.jpeg.fd4d76c8aebf5d34653b5f808947c46c.jpeg

loves carrying stuff around so we keep that going to our advantage and I am In no rush to take stuff off her.

So yea all good ?

Cracking stuff terry keep her lit

• Like 1

Nice one Terry, ? I don't think some appreciate how important marking is. when a dog reaches its senior years and slows down it is still useful finding, marking etc, a good marking dog will always get you a rabbit. 

• Like 7
3 hours ago, fred90 said:

Nice one Terry, ? I don't think some appreciate how important marking is. when a dog reaches its senior years and slows down it is still useful finding, marking etc, a good marking dog will always get you a rabbit. 

Your right Fred for me it’s the main thing. I can take or leave the rest of it. Most dogs will lamp to varying degrees but good day time hunting up and marking not so many. 

many years ago we were ferreting a ditch in between railway and golf course in Lincolnshire, got 9 rabbits or so, just as dog marked a small sett a chap came up and said have you come for the eels. he pointed further up and off we went, the ditch was wriggling with eels, we started filling carrier bags with them. hour and half later mate said fxck me Where's the dog? I run back down the embankments and she was still sat there marking the sett. dropped ferret in and rabbit number 10.happy days?

Screenshot_20190916_221218_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

• Like 10
5 hours ago, fred90 said:

many years ago we were ferreting a ditch in between railway and golf course in Lincolnshire, got 9 rabbits or so, just as dog marked a small sett a chap came up and said have you come for the eels. he pointed further up and off we went, the ditch was wriggling with eels, we started filling carrier bags with them. hour and half later mate said fxck me Where's the dog? I run back down the embankments and she was still sat there marking the sett. dropped ferret in and rabbit number 10.happy days?

Screenshot_20190916_221218_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Great that mate. Fine dog too. When I started ferreting as a kid I never new about marking dogs. I got a terrier pup and didnt have a clue how it was going to work. Ferret grabbed him by snout when he was pup so that was him ferret broken lol. I took him in my pocket or a bag because he was too young and could only waddle few yards. Kept ferreting empty holes as per norm then one day ferret was gone a while and I saw the pup cock his head. Next minute a rabbit exploded out bolt hole right by him and he went after it. That sowed the seed. I can't rememer his age but not long after he was chasing a rabbit in brambles in an oak wood. Giving the odd yap. I still had no clue of a plan. But he suddenly went quiet. I called his name moses ( dont ask lol ) and I heard a woof. I climbed throught the cover and found him sat by a rabbit hole. Nice easy two holer. Ferret in rabbit out. Bingo we never looked back and from that day I never put a ferret in unless he marked apart from once to prove some lads from the valleys wrong which he did lol. The benifit of a terrier was you would see a nice easy hole on the edge of thick cover. All ways empty because the rabbit was in the thick old brambles but once he got on there line they would often end up prreasure to ground in a nice easy hole some where. Of course some time they would go to ground in a big gorse bank but no biggy :)

Lovely old boy he was

img002_6622043875_o.jpg

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, terryd said:

Great that mate. Fine dog too. When I started ferreting as a kid I never new about marking dogs. I got a terrier pup and didnt have a clue how it was going to work. Ferret grabbed him by snout when he was pup so that was him ferret broken lol. I took him in my pocket or a bag because he was too young and could only waddle few yards. Kept ferreting empty holes as per norm then one day ferret was gone a while and I saw the pup cock his head. Next minute a rabbit exploded out bolt hole right by him and he went after it. That sowed the seed. I can't rememer his age but not long after he was chasing a rabbit in brambles in an oak wood. Giving the odd yap. I still had no clue of a plan. But he suddenly went quiet. I called his name moses ( dont ask lol ) and I heard a woof. I climbed throught the cover and found him sat by a rabbit hole. Nice easy two holer. Ferret in rabbit out. Bingo we never looked back and from that day I never put a ferret in unless he marked apart from once to prove some lads from the valleys wrong which he did lol. The benifit of a terrier was you would see a nice easy hole on the edge of thick cover. All ways empty because the rabbit was in the thick old brambles but once he got on there line they would often end up prreasure to ground in a nice easy hole some where. Of course some time they would go to ground in a big gorse bank but no biggy :)

Lovely old boy he was

img002_6622043875_o.jpg

it doesn't take long for the penny to drop. Once they have marked and seen one bolt. ferreted years ago with a few Russell's always found them excellent markers?

• Like 1
On 13/03/2023 at 08:48, fred90 said:

So true that, problem I have now is the old dog has started to mug the younger dog of her catch. He still has a great nose but I’m going to have to leave him at home now. 

1 hour ago, Runner96 said:

Just started marking at 7 months 

0538D433-753B-41D1-86D6-924172DFEFD2.png

DF121421-CB05-43CF-B3D4-B233B67015CA.jpeg

nice one?people talk about dog should mark silent, no sniffing down holes, scratching at mouth of hole etc, I don't give a monkeys trumpet as long as the dog tells you rabbits are at home. 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, fred90 said:

nice one?people talk about dog should mark silent, no sniffing down holes, scratching at mouth of hole etc, I don't give a monkeys trumpet as long as the dog tells you rabbits are at home. 

My other dog who works with ferrets is silent. Don’t really mind what this one does regarding marking. 90% with her will be on the lamp ? 

my bitch just has a sniff round the holes then gives me a quick look and a tail wag or lifts her foot if you blinked you would miss it but her body language is different she stiffens up a bit and walks slower she has never false marked and if she says summats home there is 

• Like 3