And there's more........

Today come through on email, 'Is the shotgun and cartridges going to be on section one' ?????

Shooting under fire as challenges mount

Shooting Times
0shares

Proposed changes to the licensing regime would see shotguns treated as strictly as Section 1 firearms, and lead shot is back in the spotlight

SHT402.news2_.woodhouse_shoot_061217_111

The past week has seen two news stories, both recently reported in these pages, turned unfairly against the shooting community.

First came the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) report on the tragic Plymouth shooting where five people were killed. Despite acknowledging that the issuing of murderer Jake Davidson’s initial licence was “attributable to a lack of training, supervision and inadequate force processes” and that the officers who issued his licence renewal should face disciplinary action, the report suggests sweeping changes to firearms licensing anyway.

The proposed changes include making the licensing regime for shotguns as strict as that for Section 1 firearms, such as rifles.

ADVERTISING

Under this change, shotguns would need to be individually listed and all ammunition would have to appear on the licence too.

Christopher Graffius, BASC’s executive director of communications and public affairs, said: “BASC is clear that we need a system of licensing that protects public safety and also provides an efficient service. It is plain to see that that system was absent in Keyham with tragic consequences. It is obvious from the comments of the coroner and the verdict of the jury at the inquests that the fault lay not with the existing laws but with their inconsistent application by Devon and Cornwall Police.”

In another potential blow to our sport, Green Party peer Natalie Bennett is to table a question in the House of Lords, asking Defra what steps it plans to take “to end the use of lead shot in hunting in England”. This follows the Cambridge University report that found 94% of pheasants are still being shot with lead three years into the five-year voluntary ban proposed by the major shooting organisations in February 2022.

Phil

What happened in Plymouth was 100% the fault of Devon and Cornwall firearms, yet, instead of the shooting organisations ( BASC in particular) calling them out on it, they have all just rolled over and accepted whatever they come up with, trying to get themselves off the hook and positioning the blame on SGC and FAC owners, I can’t see how it will ever work putting shotguns as section 1 as you need a specific reason for holding a section 1 where as for a shotgun all you need to say is you want to bust some clays on a weekend, the whole thing is heading in the wrong direction, who knows where we will be in 10 years time 

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, Stavross said:

What happened in Plymouth was 100% the fault of Devon and Cornwall firearms, yet, instead of the shooting organisations ( BASC in particular) calling them out on it, they have all just rolled over and accepted whatever they come up with, trying to get themselves off the hook and positioning the blame on SGC and FAC owners, I can’t see how it will ever work putting shotguns as section 1 as you need a specific reason for holding a section 1 where as for a shotgun all you need to say is you want to bust some clays on a weekend, the whole thing is heading in the wrong direction, who knows where we will be in 10 years time 

It really makes you wonder Stav.

Phil

1 hour ago, philpot said:

It really makes you wonder Stav.

Phil

It wasn’t that long ago that someone was showing something that some MP had written where they wanted all firearms to be removed from public ownership, so the majority of us would have to prove we needed them as a tool for a job and the average hobby shooter who just has permission on some land would have to surrender them, I thought it was just a load of sh*t but the more you read into it and the more people listen to these cranks nothing would surprise me now 

• Like 1
Just now, Stavross said:

It wasn’t that long ago that someone was showing something that some MP had written where they wanted all firearms to be removed from public ownership, so the majority of us would have to prove we needed them as a tool for a job and the average hobby shooter who just has permission on some land would have to surrender them, I thought it was just a load of sh*t but the more you read into it and the more people listen to these cranks nothing would surprise me now 

Always said it will come one day ..

No recreational shooting allowed.

Get out as much as you can now as it's a very uncertain future

I don’t have a problem with anyone who is against sporting shooting, whether that’s clays, deer stalking, pheasants, grouse, it’s there opinion and they are entitled to it but it’s their blinkered view that annoys me, the financial benefits and the management of the countryside that comes from shooting far outweighs anything that would be put in place if it was to be stopped, every time I read another report or something in the media it’s just another stick to beat us with, you have them pushing for a lead ban, when the shooting sector is responsible for a tiny amount of lead in the environment compared to industry, they complain about traces of lead in food that there’s been no evidence of harm to anyone yet they see nothing wrong with pumping all kinds of chemicals into processed food that are carcinogenic, huge companies buying up massive amounts of land as a carbon offset, kicking keepers and deer managers off the land wrecking communities to allow them to keep pumping sh*t into the air, and to top it off one person out of thousands goes mad and all of a sudden everybody who owns a firearm is a nutter in the eyes of the media, when in reality we are probably the most law abiding citizens in the land as we know it’s a privilege to have what we have, not a right, the laws don’t need tightening or changing the police need to do their job properly and admit they are at fault not the thousands of people lawfully possess shotguns and rifles 

rant over 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I don’t have a problem with anyone who is against sporting shooting, whether that’s clays, deer stalking, pheasants, grouse, it’s there opinion and they are entitled to it but it’s their blinkered view that annoys me, the financial benefits and the management of the countryside that comes from shooting far outweighs anything that would be put in place if it was to be stopped, every time I read another report or something in the media it’s just another stick to beat us with, you have them pushing for a lead ban, when the shooting sector is responsible for a tiny amount of lead in the environment compared to industry, they complain about traces of lead in food that there’s been no evidence of harm to anyone yet they see nothing wrong with pumping all kinds of chemicals into processed food that are carcinogenic, huge companies buying up massive amounts of land as a carbon offset, kicking keepers and deer managers off the land wrecking communities to allow them to keep pumping sh*t into the air, and to top it off one person out of thousands goes mad and all of a sudden everybody who owns a firearm is a nutter in the eyes of the media, when in reality we are probably the most law abiding citizens in the land as we know it’s a privilege to have what we have, not a right, the laws don’t need tightening or changing the police need to do their job properly and admit they are at fault not the thousands of people lawfully possess shotguns and rifles 

rant over 

100% right Stav. I cannot say that people who are against others having guns are not entitled to their opinion but the likes of Packman and various others have very little if any knowledge of the real countryside and what is involved in keeping it that way. Each and every time some idiot with a gun takes the lives someone suddenly creates a serious push from the police to take action but to lawful shooting men and women and no impression made on the unlawful gun owners. I remember the cazy man many years ago killing people with a rifle in Huntingdon which was a terrible and tragic situation but what action was taken by the police, ban handguns and make it illegal to own a 5 shot semi auto shotgun.............................beats me.

Phil

Every time anything like this happens it’s due to the police not following “guidelines” properly, it should be protocol, not guidelines, that’s the real problem. Then of course, when it goes wrong, it’s all put down to the licensing system not being tough enough and they miss the point and sooner or later it happens again. Legitimate shooters bear the brunt of it and it’s not their fault. Labours Yvette Cooper wants all private ownership of firearms banned, if she’s the next home secretary who knows what will happen?

• Sad 1