What’s easier a daytime Rabbit or daytime Hare.

It’s ground dependable around here in my area a dog catching a rabbit in day time is rare thing . Simply because there never out of cover long enough. On the other hand if it was legal you might get a decent run on a hare 

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, terryd said:

It’s ground dependable around here in my area a dog catching a rabbit in day time is rare thing . Simply because there never out of cover long enough. On the other hand if it was legal you might get a decent run on a hare 

Yes, I was talking when it was legal. Both very difficult in different ways. 

• Like 1

A lot depends on the dog and ground like a golf course for rabbits or short grass for hares there's loads of things to take in to account is it  day or night but personally I like to see a dog hunt up in day time watching the dog body movement speed up with there nose to the ground before something raises in front beats a point and slip for me 

• Like 3

I don't anythings easy in the day personally for 1 a prey animal or an animal living in the wild will know that ground far more better then any dog plus I always like to think something being pursued will go a hell of alot faster then something chasing it just a theory I suppose ? 

• Like 1

Screenshot_20230312_113128_Gallery.jpg.ddef07e02f0c853b358b876cf2ba077c.jpg

On 11/03/2023 at 09:28, terryd said:

In the day a chrash bang wallop type of dog that in a split second will hit a hedge hard cover or what ever and give it a 110% on the strike helps. Every split second counts any delay its gone 

my kind of dog terry?. but with commitment comes injury. Young whippet bitch has had 7 stitches in her chest last year and 3 weeks ago had her front leg stapled. 18 months old I do like her but it comes at a cost. she does work shit places though, this is a old pit tip. 

Screenshot_20230312_113022_Gallery.jpg

Edited by fred90
  • Like 6
2 hours ago, fred90 said:

my kind of dog terry?. but with commitment comes injury. Young whippet bitch has had 7 stitches in her chest last year and 3 weeks ago had her front leg stapled. 18 months old I do like her but it comes at a cost. 

That is very true. Had some right disasters with the old dog plus him being trigger happy made stock tricky. A rustle in a hedge or some thing going over the brow. Bang he was on the way. The new pup is up and at them if it moving but if she comes in downwind of some thing goes into that collie slink which I do like. Though early days with her next season will be interesting. But the signs are very good so far 

• Like 1

When I read the post title, I thought “is this a joke ? “ 

In my mind there’s no comparison between a hare and a rabbit !

Obviously, to me at least, a rabbit is far easier.

Then I had a bit of thought about it, and wondered if Alan meant “ what is better, a daytime, point and slip hare dog, or a dog that will work the land, off the lead, find its rabbits and catch them.”

A completely different question, and I can only say it depends on what you want out of your dog.

Maybe I’m reading it wrong, and absolutely no offence meant if others see it differently ?

Cheers.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chartpolski said:

When I read the post title, I thought “is this a joke ? “ 

In my mind there’s no comparison between a hare and a rabbit !

Obviously, to me at least, a rabbit is far easier.

Then I had a bit of thought about it, and wondered if Alan meant “ what is better, a daytime, point and slip hare dog, or a dog that will work the land, off the lead, find its rabbits and catch them.”

A completely different question, and I can only say it depends on what you want out of your dog.

Maybe I’m reading it wrong, and absolutely no offence meant if others see it differently ?

Cheers.

I thought exactly the same as you, at first I thought it was a joke but when you think about it taking rabbits in the daytime without  bolting them with ferrets takes some doing mainly because there is little chance for good course on a rabbit  in the day 

• Like 4