Be the next thing they will try to ban,

I live in west London  I never saw squirrels in this location in the 70' or 80's in the early 70s every one and their mum had an air gun . Today squirrels are every where round here , air guns are not so common today  , no squirrel control at all , the RSPCA just hyping stuff up to get donations . 

Edited by barrywhite
  • Like 3
On 10/03/2023 at 02:07, barrywhite said:

I live in west London  I never saw squirrels in this location in the 70' or 80's in the early 70s every one and their mum had an air gun . Today squirrels are every where round here , air guns are not so common today  , no squirrel control at all , the RSPCA just hyping stuff up to get donations . 

my brother applied for a squirrel control job up here in Scotland last year, I don't want to get too specific but it gets pretty much all of its funding from the government.

The position was poorly paid and had been vacant for some time. It turned out for every 1 front line pest controller there was multiple admin / managers /  etc. very top heavy organization with a huge amount of people getting paid big salaries to do basically sod all.  

He lasted 2 weeks and then handed in notice said the whole thing was a joke and its primary purpose was for lazy managerial types to have kushty jobs and pensions. Actually eliminating gray squirrels and saving reds was far down the line of priorities and the situation gets worse every year no matter how much more funding they get.

He said it would be so much cheaper for the taxpayer and more effective to just fire the lot of them and offer a bounty for every grey tail a member of the public turns in haha. 

• Like 6
On 13/03/2023 at 17:04, ger2020 said:

my brother applied for a squirrel control job up here in Scotland last year, I don't want to get too specific but it gets pretty much all of its funding from the government.

The position was poorly paid and had been vacant for some time. It turned out for every 1 front line pest controller there was multiple admin / managers /  etc. very top heavy organization with a huge amount of people getting paid big salaries to do basically sod all.  

He lasted 2 weeks and then handed in notice said the whole thing was a joke and its primary purpose was for lazy managerial types to have kushty jobs and pensions. Actually eliminating gray squirrels and saving reds was far down the line of priorities and the situation gets worse every year no matter how much more funding they get.

He said it would be so much cheaper for the taxpayer and more effective to just fire the lot of them and offer a bounty for every grey tail a member of the public turns in haha. 

Used to get 50p a tail back in the 80s off the fly tiers, would send off bags of them each year now no one wants them, had a little food stool on a trendy market as well that bought squirrels for food but in the end the amount of paperwork they wanted made it a total waste of time ?

• Like 4
On 10/03/2023 at 02:07, barrywhite said:

Had a good walk around a big wood near me this morning that borders the large council estate i live that the council now own it was crawling with grey squirrels i shoot the odd one's with the catapult even 20 years ago i would shoot over a hundred a year with the airgun and other lads with airguns would put a dent in them .I wouldn't dare mooch about down their with an airgun these days in case a member of the public saw me and phoned the police or sneakily took pics and put them all over social media.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 18/03/2023 at 12:16, tatsblisters said:

Had a good walk around a big wood near me this morning that borders the large council estate i live that the council now own it was crawling with grey squirrels i shoot the odd one's with the catapult even 20 years ago i would shoot over a hundred a year with the airgun and other lads with airguns would put a dent in them .I wouldn't dare mooch about down their with an airgun these days in case a member of the public saw me and phoned the police or sneakily took pics and put them all over social media.

my father in 1960s was driving around an outer london area called West Drayton with his friend and two shot guns in his car looking for somewhere to shoot . The police notice his suspicious behaviour and asked what he was doing . When he told the police what he was up to , they replied you cannot go shooting round here , the police then took my father and his friend a few miles away to an undeveloped area in a place called Gerrards Cross and directed them to go shooting there .

• Like 1