Are Electric cars a viable alternative.

A mate of one of my lads works at a place that services and maintains emergency response vehicles, I was talking to him the other day about electric vehicles as i had read a few reviews recently about how the stated range was never as stated in reality. He told me that one force had recently had to return two Jaguar Ipace cars that were to be used by traffic officers, Within a week they had to be returned due to them only being able to cover about 50 miles on a full charge due to the way they had to be driven to attend emergencies and chases, They were said to be able to go 250 mile between charges,

I live near, The Motor Industry research centre, I have been told by a mate who works there that Electric cars are not going to be the way the motor industry goes, He says that Hydrogen cell fuelled cars will be the future,   

I have had a couple of Hybrids and think that these give the best of both as things stand at the minute. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have been ripped off big time with this electric car dream it’s going to die a certain death. I’d never have one, gay, feminine, typical divs car. If you had an emergency call for a serious family

No, pointless pieces of shite,the electric still comes from somewhere,just a way to try an control us

Posted Images

ambulances here need to be plugged into chargers overnight as a top up due to the ammount of electrical gear they have, and these are conventional diesel vehicles that rarely have their engines turned off !!!!!! thay are already so heavy they come into the HGV lisence category, EV`s to have the same range would probably end up 7.5t+

• Like 1

No!!!

I have no idea why this country has jumped into them so vigorously! 

Waste of time, we need many more years development in battery technology, raw materials, disposal, etc, there have been many studies detailing the costs in energy and pollution in producing electric cars (as well as the higher cost associated with buying them).

The 10 highest depreciating cars in the UK (recent MSN article) are ALL electric.

And how do you think the energy to charge them is produced, people have tunnel vision, and simply look at what's coming out of the exhaust.  

WWW.AUTOCAR.CO.UK

CO2-intensive battery production means emissions-free travel remains a mirage

• Like 3

Don't have the infrastructure to run/charge them, too expensive to buy and maintain (big surprises coming for those who already have them), not environmentally friendly to produce, and still rely on non-green power plants to provide the electricity to charge the things. Everyone (Government/Councils) know but afraid to admit it. This is based on attending tech talks/seminars by manufacturers producing the domestic and industrial charging equipment. Need a plan B if no more diesel or petrol engines are to be produced after 2030 and it aint electric motors.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

The politicians and CEO's still selling the lie know that by the time the shit hits the fan they will have retired and be driving around in their petrol powered Lambo's and vintage E Types.

I wonder if an when the get rid of diesel an petrol will they cease to fly in there massively polluting private jets,definatley not.

34 minutes ago, scotty12 said:

Had electric cars in the 1800s no exactly a new invention …. Suppressed technology hidden history 

when i was a kid all the milk floats were electric....just thinking about it i can still remember the sound of them. and all the empty bottles.....clang clang clang....down the road....lol 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, paulus said:

A mate of one of my lads works at a place that services and maintains emergency response vehicles, I was talking to him the other day about electric vehicles as i had read a few reviews recently about how the stated range was never as stated in reality. He told me that one force had recently had to return two Jaguar Ipace cars that were to be used by traffic officers, Within a week they had to be returned due to them only being able to cover about 50 miles on a full charge due to the way they had to be driven to attend emergencies and chases, They were said to be able to go 250 mile between charges,

I live near, The Motor Industry research centre, I have been told by a mate who works there that Electric cars are not going to be the way the motor industry goes, He says that Hydrogen cell fuelled cars will be the future,   

I have had a couple of Hybrids and think that these give the best of both as things stand at the minute. 

Well I've spent 6 years and a fair lump of money backing the Hydrogen revolution.... I hope I'm backing the right horse!! Lol

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

There is some charging points down the road and you see people sat there having a cup of coffee or reading a paper while they charge up. What a load of cobblers. Surely you dont need to be einstien to see they could never work. My dog could tell you there pointless 

• Like 1

Ok so my understanding is Evs are to cut down on use of fossil fuels  , the batteries are constructed of lithium mainly mined in South America & South Africa causing massive deforestation by huge machinery  ( usually diesel powered )   . The many components  are shipped around the world to construct the vehicle i am led to believe that an Ev will have covered around 24k miles in construction . The majority of our electric comes from fossil fuel powered stations , no one wants nuclear plus solar  wind etc are still relatively small producers  . there is not the infrastructure to cope with Evs ( charging points ) , what happens when we all  get home from work at 6 pm plu the Ev in & put the kettle on . My thoughts on Evs 

• Like 6

It would be chaos trying to charge them for millions of people who live in heavily built up areas in terraced houses or flats . Not everyone has a driveway or garage to park overnight to charge them and most of the time I can’t even park outside my house anyway so unless you struck lucky and some random person half way down the street or round the corner who also doesn’t have a car will charge it I’d be stuck . Even if they said you had a designated parking spot outside your house what would happen to multi car households and where would visitors park 

10 hours ago, tillylamp said:

when i was a kid all the milk floats were electric....just thinking about it i can still remember the sound of them. and all the empty bottles.....clang clang clang....down the road....lol 

Quite so, there are plenty of electric vehicles on the road (milk floats etc), in the workplace, on the golf course etc., etc., which perform a perfectly functional and practical role.

But their development out to mass transport is fundamentally the result of legislation, rather than commercial business profit and practicality.  Had there been a mass market waiting, the motor industry would have gone down this route big time themselves, without being kicked by legislation. 

I'm not saying never, and technology moves on, but forced electric transport today is a recipe for pain, suffering, frustration, impracticality and a burden to your wallet!

• Like 2