Thoughts on the following

Are we reading this right ? is the guy paying the farmer ? there's a few folk paying for ferreting now . I had roughly the same had a local farmer i did his land for years sold up for houses i went to his new farm did a few years them he said somebodies approached me to pay for the shooting sorry Bob . A couple of years later i gets a phone call can you come back the guys a looney he has cameras everywhere flung off folk walking and there where guys metal detecting i gave permission too , When i went to see him he said this guys supposed to be a gamekeeper there's pheasant feeders everywhere but i have never seen him with a gun LOL  

As it happens lads I called up last night with the rifle and caught these so called professionals poaching on a farm next door where I have permission. We exchanged a few sturn words and they made a quick get away once they realised they had been caught red handed, just had rather a heated conversation over the phone gent who is paying these lads. 

Font think that farmer will ever ring me again ??

• Like 1

That is a real bummer, but it happens. Well it's happened to me anyway ?. Although not to anyone charging for it?. I have a few permissions which I share with people I don't know well or really get on with. Some ferreting but every farm around me has someone shooting.  I live with it as I'm still working so can't make crazy promises on numbers or timing

My experience is keep in touch, it's hard to not throw ones toys out but other opportunities may come up / It's not unusual the other guy will quit / have problems etc. And Farmers sometimes pickup new land or friends ask them for rabbiting contacts. 

Good luck 

4 hours ago, Baretta28 said:

As it happens lads I called up last night with the rifle and caught these so called professionals poaching on a farm next door where I have permission. We exchanged a few sturn words and they made a quick get away once they realised they had been caught red handed, just had rather a heated conversation over the phone gent who is paying these lads. 

Font think that farmer will ever ring me again ??

My view in life is that if youve made the decision your going to fall out with someone then do it in style .Plenty of fucks and the odd c**t thrown in .They tend to get the message after that tirade .If a farmer treated me like that I’d be tipping live rats  through his front door without a second thought .Better off without him mate but I do hope you made him squirm a bit .

Its actually a proven fact that you need a good rareup at least once a year ??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, socks said:

If you want to see a proper falling out watch the film “the banshees of inisherin” 

Yep!!
Right up your street, especially when he starts cutitng his fingers off and throwing them around.... average Sunday up your place!! lol

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2023 at 07:57, Baretta28 said:

After a telephone call with the farmer today Just thought I would ask for ur thoughts on the following.

the last few weeks I’ve been moving house and waiting for the little one to have his operation on his ear so I haven't been able to go go to the farm. I did let him know I was moving house etc.

I ring today to let him know I would be up Thursday and he told me not to bother!!! He now has some one going up and is clearing the rabbits at a cost of £250 a day. Which I think is f*****g ridiculous.

I had that permission for 6 years I don’t know if to be pissed or just ignore it and think f••k it

I find there is no value long term to fall out with the landowner, yes at the time, after ripping the farmer a new asshole, you feel vindicated however with the passing of time you realize that you will never get back onto that property while that farmer still owns the land. Now when this happens to me, I nod, smile and say "ok if it doesn't work out you know where to find me "then I walk off. While this has only happened a few times, twice I've had the landowner ring me at a later date, and ask would you be interested in doing some control work on a couple of hotspot areas to which I've agreed to without making any comment, then within a few weeks, I'm back doing the whole place again. My approach these days is one that delivers the best outcomes for me. When I was younger, I would tell the landowner what I thought about him, his farm and grandparents five times removed .lol Cant say it ever resulted in me getting back on the place to hunt, however upsetting folk is no longer my style, I have at long last learned to zip it, smile and wait .....   

• Like 4
18 hours ago, toolebox said:

I find there is no value long term to fall out with the landowner, yes at the time, after ripping the farmer a new asshole, you feel vindicated however with the passing of time you realize that you will never get back onto that property while that farmer still owns the land. Now when this happens to me, I nod, smile and say "ok if it doesn't work out you know where to find me "then I walk off. While this has only happened a few times, twice I've had the landowner ring me at a later date, and ask would you be interested in doing some control work on a couple of hotspot areas to which I've agreed to without making any comment, then within a few weeks, I'm back doing the whole place again. My approach these days is one that delivers the best outcomes for me. When I was younger, I would tell the landowner what I thought about him, his farm and grandparents five times removed .lol Cant say it ever resulted in me getting back on the place to hunt, however upsetting folk is no longer my style, I have at long last learned to zip it, smile and wait .....   

Must say I agree with that toolbox.

Years ago when I shot Foxes for their pelts I had two permissions side by side one wanted me to shoot the odd Fox the other a hunting man wanted them left. I respected that but one day the hunting man saw me walking back from his neighbours with a fox over my shoulder. Few days later I bumped into him he said you better not come up any more, I just replied fare enough and left it like that. Week or so latter he stopped said you haven't been up for a while, you told me not to. Oh thats alright just having a bad day. Things went back to normal. So yeah think its good not to burn your bridges.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1