Thoughts on the following

After a telephone call with the farmer today Just thought I would ask for ur thoughts on the following.

the last few weeks I’ve been moving house and waiting for the little one to have his operation on his ear so I haven't been able to go go to the farm. I did let him know I was moving house etc.

I ring today to let him know I would be up Thursday and he told me not to bother!!! He now has some one going up and is clearing the rabbits at a cost of £250 a day. Which I think is f*****g ridiculous.

I had that permission for 6 years I don’t know if to be pissed or just ignore it and think f••k it

• Like 1

With so many lads with rabbit shortages in their permissions I find it absolutely incredible that a tight old farmer would pay someone £2.50 let alone £250 to clear rabbits! I reckon he is bullshitting you. A single post on a site like this would have people knocking down his door why would you pay?

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Bobtheferret said:

With so many lads with rabbit shortages in their permissions I find it absolutely incredible that a tight old farmer would pay someone £2.50 let alone £250 to clear rabbits! I reckon he is bullshitting you. A single post on a site like this would have people knocking down his door why would you pay?

Honestly didn’t know what to say to him. I wish I could earn £250 a day 5 days a week I’d be a happy man

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

I'd be a bit pissed off . I can't get my head around why he would pay instead of have it for free 

Was he a know when you spoke to him or apologetic 

Just his usual self tbh mate that’s why I was abit taken back didn’t really know what to say ??

1 minute ago, Baretta28 said:

Honestly didn’t know what to say to him. I wish I could earn £250 a day 5 days a week I’d be a happy man

To right mate! That’s over £60k a year! Nearly double the average wage for the uk for catching rabbits! 

Yeah, I just think it's a bullshit excuse, he doesn't want you there for whatever reason. It would piss me off but not much you can do. If he gets over run with game and rings, say you will do the job for a discount of 200 a day or tell him to fck off and catch them himself. ?

It's  great to have a relationship with a landowner based on a bit of mutual loyalty .

But it has to be considered  that the reason a farmer overrun with rabbits  lets someone   ferret their land  possibly isn't always because they like that person's face . The farmer wants  to look over his fields and see less rabbits ,a lot less, possibly no rabbits .

I'd be miffed if l lost permission through some genuine domestic or other unavoidable situation preventing me hunting but it is the farmer's land . And if he's prepared to risk paying for rabbit control he likely has commercial reasons for that decision. 

But Hell ,£250 a day is big money for a bit of ferreting!

But is the new chap just doing a "bit" of ferreting? Is he turning up every couple of weeks and just  creaming off a few easy  bunnies as a hobby ?

Or is he a professional , hard at it with a campaign of proper eradication? Taking no prisoners, getting into those hard to reach places . 

Is he just ferreting or using other methods like gas or novel burrow collapsing equipment  ? 

Is he working alone like some sort of rabbiting Superhero?

(Thus prompting the question ;Coneyman vs The Hulk ,who would win?)

On the other hand   £ 250 for a two or three-handed team doing a proper clearance job doesn't  sound quite so outrageous. 

Course , he could just be a silver- tongued chancer ,the swine!

Edited by comanche
  • Like 2