Reached for a shotgun.

Fed up with tec today. Got the cz 455 set up for the NV add on and got it zeroed so that is ready for any night duties.

Went and relocated the trail cam and bait on the small holding after taking the bloody Wulf that incidentally kept freezing all morning, to the post office.

Grabbed a shotgun and buggered off out the way feeling miserable. 

I walked to a thin slang near to where I had the fallow buck last weekend, by the way it's delicious. Actually when I got to where I shot it the other deer have worn a path to it across the stubble field!

Anyway, I'm sneaking along looking on the sun drenched bracken and yep just rounding a gorse there is the unmistakable colour of a fast asleep curled up fox just a mere 20yds away.

I loosed one 3" BB into it. You'd think it would be enough wouldn't you! Nope lifted his head so shot again. That kept him down.

So far I'm not overly impressed with BB for fox. Both I've shot recently with them have needed the second barrel. 

So dumping the tech and going old skool paid off and it felt gooood.IMG_20230305_155147.jpg.f4d41be5f3cc605504b194a16fb97b44.jpg

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 13

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fed up with tec today. Got the cz 455 set up for the NV add on and got it zeroed so that is ready for any night duties. Went and relocated the trail cam and bait on the small holding after taking

FFS  lads please don’t start all this bollocks again , let’s all play nice we’re all only on this earth once and it’s far to short be slagging off all the time no if it was the talbain , fair e

Posted Images

1 hour ago, foxdropper said:

Go ye ahead Bernard .You won’t offend me mate and let’s be honest your shooting is rather shite of late .

Shite it maybe but thems still dead all the same. Nothing to worry about this end pal.

just between you and me, would we ever hear of you cocking it up? I mean, I just don't believe you've never had something go wrong, which I'm ok with, it's just, well I'm wondering if there is just a smidging of pot calling the kettle black etc.

I've noticed recently several people have mentioned shotgun and fox, I've not had a situation, where I have either gone looking for a fox, or stumbled across one with a shotgun for a loooooooong time!

Just peoples different situations I guess, but rifles almost exclusively for me on the fox!!!

:good:

• Like 2
20 hours ago, neil82 said:

years back when I had a shotgun my go to heavy load was winchester 00, hit anything with them and it drops, thnk they were just on the limit for shot load

SPSG was my go to.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Shite it maybe but thems still dead all the same. Nothing to worry about this end pal.

just between you and me, would we ever hear of you cocking it up? I mean, I just don't believe you've never had something go wrong, which I'm ok with, it's just, well I'm wondering if there is just a smidging of pot calling the kettle black etc.

If you mean do I need a second shot from time to time then yes occasionally mate but I honestly can’t remember the last time on a deer but on a fox it was just before Xmas which I wrote about on this very forum .The regularity you seem to f**k up on is a bit  worrying though mate ,either that or you just don’t know when something is dead and dosnt need another .

The chopping and changing of firearms you seem to use is not helping your marksmanship Bernie .

I use the same make of rifle for everything in different calibres .
I don’t have any complex about f***ing up mate .It happens but I’d be questioning myself if it was any regularity .

7 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Everyone has cocked up at sometime but its not worth posting on here as you get slaughtered. 

The person who has never cocked up has never pulled the trigger ?

Tbh Mark surely it’s about keeping it real .The getting slathered is just what blokes do .Getting arsey about the piss taking that follows or feeling offended is childish and smacks of wanting a cuddle .
It happens but if you or I did it regular we’d be asking why wouldn’t we ,I know I would .Quarry reaction is also something that some struggle with .I’ve seen an experienced stalker put another into a roe buck after it stood briefly after a death run shot clean through the heart .You know I know that buck was dead on it’s feet .That  fox Bernie shot with the 17 was dead on its feet .

Do enough and these things become second nature .
When shooting fallow on the cull locally I’ve shot a beast that has made a death run and shot another before the first has hit the deck knowing for certain what’s occurred .Confidence in kit is the key to ability Id say .

9 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

If you mean do I need a second shot from time to time then yes occasionally mate but I honestly can’t remember the last time on a deer but on a fox it was just before Xmas which I wrote about on this very forum .The regularity you seem to f**k up on is a bit  worrying though mate ,either that or you just don’t know when something is dead and dosnt need another .

The chopping and changing of firearms you seem to use is not helping your marksmanship Bernie .

I use the same make of rifle for everything in different calibres .
I don’t have any complex about f***ing up mate .It happens but I’d be questioning myself if it was any regularity .

Ahhr, that's really kind of you, your worrying. I've noted it and I'm going to file it away somewhere for reference.

My arse!

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Tbh Mark surely it’s about keeping it real .The getting slathered is just what blokes do .Getting arsey about the piss taking that follows or feeling offended is childish and smacks of wanting a cuddle .
It happens but if you or I did it regular we’d be asking why wouldn’t we ,I know I would .Quarry reaction is also something that some struggle with .I’ve seen an experienced stalker put another into a roe buck after it stood briefly after a death run shot clean through the heart .You know I know that buck was dead on it’s feet .That  fox Bernie shot with the 17 was dead on its feet .

Do enough and these things become second nature .
When shooting fallow on the cull locally I’ve shot a beast that has made a death run and shot another before the first has hit the deck knowing for certain what’s occurred .Confidence in kit is the key to ability Id say .

You still going on about that you boring twat? Your like a stuck record blah blah blah.

I've got the t-shirts on all the stuff your doing now 30 frigging years ago you fool.

Change the record you boring git. Just how does someone end up like you, fitting sights on your nose so you can look down on every poor b*****d that happens your way? 

Only kidding, I think your the best and I can only dream that one day I'm as good as you.

• Like 1