Worried about whippet pups toe!

Hi there 

i am looking for some advice or guidance about how to proceed with my whippet pup as endless googling has left me quite worried 

5 days ago we took out 5 month old pup for her usual short walk/run at the park. When we got home we noticed she appeared a bit lame but we couldn’t ascertain which leg it was coming from. The following day we identified it was her front left leg that she was partially lame on. At times she would walk around normally but at other moments hold the leg up. 
We took her to the vets that evening and he identified she had some pain in her foot but said he didn’t suspect she had a fracture so sent us away with a prescription of pain meds and told to keep her as still and calm for the new week (tricky to do when she’s a 5 month old whippet!). 

Yesterday (2 days since the vet visit) I noticed that one of the middle toes on the poorly foot is extended longer than the other toes and appears slightly flat. This is only the case when she is weight-bearing. When she is sat down the toe appears completely normal. there is some swelling to the joint above the nail also. 

I’ve been manically googling (it’s the weekend and the vets aren’t open till Monday) and have been reading lots about dislocated toes and sprung toes and I’m all a bit confused and unsure if this is what we’re dealing with. 

So I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this, especially in a puppy/young dog. What the prognosis was? Will bed rest and pain meds let it heal Or are we looking at surgery? 

Thanks in advance

D39A79E3-876C-4A07-9185-D56325470D21.jpeg

94C1C638-0350-49F6-A8E6-14DB6CD7DD72.jpeg

248E415E-DA21-46C8-9475-A4B30C651D77.jpeg

Looks like tendon damaged/torn, have a look to see if there are any sporting dog vets around your area, try phoning the nearest greyhound track and asking them for the number of the vet they use, 

Like been said looks dislocated,lot of vets not got a clue what's wrong but will send for x-rays ,pain relief meds just to earn few more quid out you ,a greyhound vet be best one to see ,

Also penny Taylor's book a goof book to have on the shelf as it covers most foot injuries and how to deal with them .

Hope it gets sorted 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like the ligaments which hold the toe bones in the correct position have been damaged. A very common issue with some sighthounds and lurchers, often caused by the toe being forced suddenly upwards when it hits a rock or branch when running flat out. If the ligaments have snapped, or stretched beyond their ability to contract again, the toe will remain like this. Rather than have the toe removed I'd suggest getting a good greyhound vet to have a look at it and maybe completely remove the claw to stop any further damage from causing pain. The toe won't return to its correct position, but at least it will be less likely to sustain further damage. I've had that done on a couple of occasions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
27 minutes ago, skycat said:

Looks like the ligaments which hold the toe bones in the correct position have been damaged. A very common issue with some sighthounds and lurchers, often caused by the toe being forced suddenly upwards when it hits a rock or branch when running flat out. If the ligaments have snapped, or stretched beyond their ability to contract again, the toe will remain like this. Rather than have the toe removed I'd suggest getting a good greyhound vet to have a look at it and maybe completely remove the claw to stop any further damage from causing pain. The toe won't return to its correct position, but at least it will be less likely to sustain further damage. I've had that done on a couple of occasions.

spot on:yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the responses. 
Just to update you, we had an X-ray this week at the vets and it’s shown that Penny has two broken toes. So we’re now awaiting a decision from the vets on how they will remedy this. 

D73E9FFA-5A9C-4FB1-919E-BD21C108F06F.jpeg

Edited by Penny.whip
  • Like 2
19 hours ago, Penny.whip said:

Thanks for all the responses. 
Just to update you, we had an X-ray this week at the vets and it’s shown that Penny has two broken toes. So we’re now awaiting a decision from the vets on how they will remedy this. 

D73E9FFA-5A9C-4FB1-919E-BD21C108F06F.jpeg

Wheres the breaks