Poultry forums

I joined all the local poultry forums on facebook offered to rehome all unwanted cockerels for the pot , Ive had a lot of offers great ferret food for the summer and its free , these folk breeding chicken dont relise like ferrets over 50% could be males and then when they start to crow they want rid of them  great getting a few big ones for eating myself too 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, The one said:

I joined all the local poultry forums on facebook offered to rehome all unwanted cockerels for the pot , Ive had a lot of offers great ferret food for the summer and its free , these folk breeding chicken dont relise like ferrets over 50% could be males and then when they start to crow they want rid of them  great getting a few big ones for eating myself too 

Nowt like thinking outside the box mate Lol. 

Been away and got 6 this morning , not a old one among them all young and tender but when they start to crow they got to go . A very nice lady on a smallholding bought for her horses got the lot Guinea fowl , peacocks, ducks and loads of hens says theres another 10 at least maybe 20 cockerels i will catch them up and give you a message cant beat free ferret food during the summer 

• Like 4

It is a good idea mate. I don't understand why some people who keep poultry don't use them themselves, it's part of what makes chickens the most useful livestock with eggs, manure for your veg patch, clearing garden beds of weeds and pests and as pets for the kids. Plus breeding and showing the birds as a hobby.

Edited by Aussie Whip
On 03/03/2023 at 16:38, The one said:

I get a a 5er a peace off local fried chicken shop , they get knocked up in to a few meal deals 

Last year i got a pile of show rabbits ,the owner wanted the rings back but when you straightened there back leg the ring just slipped off . They where Harlequins ? so i thought there nice i might keep these . Then my son comes in and says see the rabbits you got in the garage i necked them for you . Then the ferrets weren't keen on them LOL 

• Haha 1

We used to take any free to good  home rabbits years ago and release them .Had a few various colours about for years but all gone back to normal now .Those huge French things can’t fit down holes though ,we found out .

Got given 30 lop eared things that followed us out the bloody field ,was embarrassing.Made the local papers about these  things living wild too .Did make us chuckle .

• Haha 3
  • 3 weeks later...

I got another message from a woman asking if I could take some cockerels as she has to many and costing her a fortune to feed, when we arrived she gave me a dozen  and said since we had come through for them we could also take a couple of fattening birds and would I like to take 2 Turkey stags, would I ?  Its no just the ferrets that will be eating good for a wee while ??

turkey1.jpg

turkey2.jpg

• Like 8
  • 2 months later...

Just enough for one person each one of them and   just got home put the crate in the garage and they started crowing sealed there fate that woman must have given me 20 plus 

12 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

I killed a heap of them for a lad one time, and brought two home for the pot. They were as tough as an old leather boot.

This is usually a good time to get them after the backyard breeder finds out they start crowing and the neighbours complain there nice and tender , but any old yins straight to the ferrets 

• Like 1