Egg shortage.

43 million laying hens have been killed because of bird flu. Hence the shortage. There is a worry that bird flu will transfer to a mammal species ( ferrets and mink are the most likely) and then on to man.

Intensive farming is becoming more and more extreme. Livestock is being pushed beyond its limits. The overuse of antibiotics amongst animals is an increasing problem. Time to reflect on the sustainability of cheap food. Of course cheap food is desirable, but not at the cost of another pandemic and farm animals kept in overcrowded, inhumane housing. Increasing resistance  to antibiotics and viruses which mutate across species is a perfect storm. We need to clean up our act.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 3

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of eggs here my oxford ginger are laying very well an got plenty of honey from my bees ? 

i can go on a drive for ten minutes and go to 5 honesty boxes with eggs at a quid for half a dozen jig  supermarkets again same as tomatoes there greedy c**ts want everything for penny’s 

Just home from work to find my buddy has dropped off...chicken,  duck and goose....hit me up ? 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

43million laying hens have been killed because of bird flu. Hence the shortage. There is a worry that bird flu will transfer to a mammal species ( ferrets and mink are the most likely) and then on to man.

Intensive farming is becoming more and more extreme. Livestock is being pushed beyond its limits. The overuse of antibiotics amongst animals is an increasing problem. Time to reflect on the sustainability of cheap food. Of course cheap food is desirable, but not at the cost of another pandemic.

i can go on a drive for ten minutes and go to 5 honesty boxes with eggs at a quid for half a dozen jig 

supermarkets again same as tomatoes there greedy c**ts want everything for penny’s 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

i can go on a drive for ten minutes and go to 5 honesty boxes with eggs at a quid for half a dozen jig 

supermarkets again same as tomatoes there greedy c**ts want everything for penny’s 

It's not eating eggs that are the problem though....it's the eggs that are used as ingredients that cause issues I think 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, jok said:

Well mcHull I don’t know how. I picked up my normal 2 bags, layers pellets  and mixed corn, £26. Jok.

i’m popping that way in an hour mate i’ll get a few pics and bags a spuds etc cheap as chips used to be mate 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

i’m popping that way in an hour mate i’ll get a few pics and bags a spuds etc cheap as chips used to be mate 

I am sure you can buy eggs a decent price from smallholders. But that's arguing from the specific to the general. The slaughter of 43 million birds is bound to affect supermarket supply.Anyway what about Connor Benn? Poor lad will fade away without his eggs.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, jukel123 said:

43 million laying hens have been killed because of bird flu. Hence the shortage. There is a worry that bird flu will transfer to a mammal species ( ferrets and mink are the most likely) and then on to man.

Intensive farming is becoming more and more extreme. Livestock is being pushed beyond its limits. The overuse of antibiotics amongst animals is an increasing problem. Time to reflect on the sustainability of cheap food. Of course cheap food is desirable, but not at the cost of another pandemic and farm animals kept in overcrowded, inhumane housing. Increasing resistance  to antibiotics and viruses which mutate across species is a perfect storm. We need to clean up our act.

Bird flu has already been found in Fox`s and Badgers, There was a thing on about it a couple of weeks ago on the News. 

Paid 3 quid for a dozen at the farm by Bulmers pet food the other day. Cheaper than the supermarkets and probably better welfare hens, which matters to me.

With Clarkson's farm showing the planning loophole for small farm buildings recently, it got me thinking that there's an opportunity there for more cooperative type local farm shops. They'd have to be targeted at the more economy end of the market, unlike traditional farm shops, but in principle they could pop up all over and with modern technology probably require minimal staffing.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Paid 3 quid for a dozen at the farm by Bulmers pet food the other day. Cheaper than the supermarkets and probably better welfare hens, which matters to me.

With Clarkson's farm showing the planning loophole for small farm buildings recently, it got me thinking that there's an opportunity there for more cooperative type local farm shops. They'd have to be targeted at the more economy end of the market, unlike traditional farm shops, but in principle they could pop up all over and with modern technology probably require minimal staffing.

Local dairy farm near here, started selling the own milk marketed as Moo Juice from an automated shop at the farm gates a year or so ago, 

1 hour ago, low plains drifter said:

That's a bit unfair, I know MC HULL has a quiche fetish and is 3 XL, but let's have it right

only had one cheese onion quiche left no bacon ones ffs ? quality pies from here chunks a meat not like greggs ginsters ? 

8DEF7FF0-C631-4A89-AF5A-D147CDCC32D7.jpeg

Edited by mC HULL
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, paulus said:

Local dairy farm near here, started selling the own milk marketed as Moo Juice from an automated shop at the farm gates a year or so ago, 

It's a good move putting the consumer more in touch with the producer imo. But one trick ponies like that will have limited draw imo. Small outlets scattered all over which have a collection of 'the basics' ie bread milk eggs butter bacon sausage some veg and maybe some long life canned stuff would be more attractive to consumers to make the effort. But yeah vending machine type things would make the low intensity. Supermarkets are easy hence their success, to make this type of model a success it needs to focus on being easy too. Again jmo. Lots of smart people in the sector, probably a good reason why I'm wrong.