Building Lurcher's Speed

25 minutes ago, Big Pow said:

Not sure how to lean him out with his muscle content. Takes away his flexibility in his front end never seems to get up to full tilt though

you can’t lean a a dog out can you ? it looks well you give it plenty of exercise it is what it is 

you can lean a fat dog out that’s been say about maybe but that isn’t the case with yours 

• Like 2

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mek sure u get at least 3 turns in wi the motor first ? Soz 

I'm definitely no expert lol, but dropping the weight of the dog , fitness obviously. 

I am going to judge you now  the dog is what he is and if you wanted a slight speed machine should bought whippet. All you can do is keep him fit and thats your lot really 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Big Pow said:

Not sure how to lean him out with his muscle content. Takes away his flexibility in his front end never seems to get up to full tilt though

Too much steady work can cause a dog to become muscle bound, I've never seen that happen, all you can really do is work the dog, and try to adjust the diet until the desired results are achieved

Can't do much about his genetics but plenty of free running, keep him fit as possible and don't overfeed. I think pulling on a lead bulks up shoulder muscles too much. I had a pit/bullmastiff that could catch roos in a short sprint, he was a super fit dog and lived until 18. I kick myself for not putting him over a greyhound.

16 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

Too much steady work can cause a dog to become muscle bound, I've never seen that happen, all you can really do is work the dog, and try to adjust the diet until the desired results are achieved

Define steady work?  Maybe I am guilty of this without realising. I tend to let him free run and chase on the most part

15 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Can't do much about his genetics but plenty of free running, keep him fit as possible and don't overfeed. I think pulling on a lead bulks up shoulder muscles too much. I had a pit/bullmastiff that could catch roos in a short sprint, he was a super fit dog and lived until 18. I kick myself for not putting him over a greyhound.

This is what Im thinking maybe the bull in him is defining the addition of muscle. I dont allow him to pull on a lead unless we are running together and even then I try and keep the lead slack

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Big Pow said:

This is him. He's just naturally built. Run him off lead every day just gains mass on his front end quickly

9C7CFD82-4832-4987-B4FD-94BA818E2813.jpeg

CFB957C9-061C-4834-8791-438E15054298.jpeg

Swear I saw that dog being  walked in Caerphilly yesterday afternoon when I was ferretting up the old Maerdy,there was 2 females and 2 males with another dog ? 

2 hours ago, terryd said:

I am going to judge you now :) the dog is what he is and if you wanted a slight speed machine should bought whippet. All you can do is keep him fit and thats your lot really 

Haha that's a fair point to be honest. I just feel he has got more pace in him just an absolute tank atm put it down to he hadnt found his feet at 1st but he's 2 1/2 now so no longer think thats the issue

2 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

Steady trotting alongside a bike for example,so the dog's up on his toes few mph faster than fast human walking pace

Not really guilty of that. He does do a few runs with me but mostly he's free running or chasing stuff. Just feel he's got a few yards more pace naturally so was thinking there was something I could do to help or something I was doing was hindering

4 minutes ago, Big Pow said:

Haha that's a fair point to be honest. I just feel he has got more pace in him just an absolute tank atm put it down to he hadnt found his feet at 1st but he's 2 1/2 now so no longer think thats the issue

Fine looking dog anyway I wouldnt worry about it