At last....

4 hours ago, ianm said:

lip squeaks, polystyrene on a mirror and cassete tape between a peg

In the summer I used to use a blade of thick  grass between my thumbs, could make it sound like a hare death cry, up at the shoot and the sheep farm the thermal, nv and digital callers have made the job easier but it’s not a given, understanding the land and weather still plays a big part in it, I still like the old way with a lamp and a lip squeak but when it’s work and it matters I’ll take all the help I can get ( afford )

• Like 3

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...the Wulf nails a vixen. Screaming her head of and very much still in season I moved in and she came my way. Just 60yds or so. 17 HMR. Slightly out of focus but I did ok. I

I did the same with a blade of grass , but I put it between the cheeks of my arse , and just waited till I farted, worked quite well , the odd rambler weren’t to impressed tho 

If that is a dig at rifle shooters it is a poor one. In the forty + years that i ran lurchers i killed my fair share of foxes using lip squeaks, polystyrene on a mirror and cassete tape between a

Posted Images

11 hours ago, ianm said:

If that is a dig at rifle shooters it is a poor one.

In the forty + years that i ran lurchers i killed my fair share of foxes using lip squeaks, polystyrene on a mirror and cassete tape between a peg. I also dug plenty with the terriers. 

Alas, time moves on and lurcher work on fox is now illegal and terrier work limited. I have absolutely no desire these days to be hounded by the law so i now use a rifle.

If you think you can use technology without a care for fieldcraft you are sadly mistaken. It isn't a matter of pulling up in a field putting out an electronic caller and any foxes present will run straight into you, because i can assure you that won't happen.

Foxes eyesight is six times better than ours so concealment and the ability to keep still without smoking etc are paramount. Wind direction must be taken into consideration or foxes will sneak in spot you and disappear without you even knowing it. 

Technology is a useful tool in pest control and only an idiot wouldn't embrace it. It certainly doesn't replace fieldcraft but used alongside it is a boon to people trying to do a job.

If you think taking a shot at a fox that is facing you at 250/300 yds that may be partially obscured in a 20mph wind is easy then i suggest you have never done it and should reserve comment until you have. 

Your right I have never shot a fox at those yards or even close I don't smoke but what you say about wind back drop ect is common sense  as foxdropper rightly said it makes it to easy with theses night vision ect theses gadgets have been a game changer wouldn't you agree especially for rabbits  I have called foxes with all you mentioned and more even a wigeon whistle im not sure what field craft you need for something that doesn't know your even there foxes are curious by nature so most calls will get them to look especially if there's no lamp on them  and don't they  normally enter and leave by the same direct especially spooked  but my dig as you call it was if your willing to take a milky vixen out deal with the after math as it's bad sportsmanship not to 

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Your right I have never shot a fox at those yards or even close I don't smoke but what you say about wind back drop ect is common sense  as foxdropper rightly said it makes it to easy with theses night vision ect theses gadgets have been a game changer wouldn't you agree especially for rabbits  I have called foxes with all you mentioned and more even a wigeon whistle im not sure what field craft you need for something that doesn't know your even there foxes are curious by nature so most calls will get them to look especially if there's no lamp on them  and don't they  normally enter and leave by the same direct especially spooked  but my dig as you call it was if your willing to take a milky vixen out deal with the after math as it's bad sportsmanship not to 

Totally agree about the milky vixen  bit  mate .Hate seeing them on social media knowing full well the cubs will never be dealt with .

• Like 1
1 minute ago, foxdropper said:

Totally agree about the milky vixen  bit  mate .Hate seeing them on social media knowing full well the cubs will never be dealt with .

That's my gripe buddy the cubs atleast do the right thing by them 

• Like 1
Just now, Blackmag said:

That's my gripe buddy the cubs atleast do the right thing by them 

I’ll never go out my way to shoot a fox when there’s cubs about but if I have to I’ll deal with the cubs after one way or another .

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

I’ll never go out my way to shoot a fox when there’s cubs about but if I have to I’ll deal with the cubs after one way or another .

As it should be every credit fd a proper sportsman 

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 1

It has always been the way as far as I'm concerned, always deal with the cubs if the situation develops, don't leave them to starve.

One of the first things I was taught many years ago!

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Stavross said:

In the summer I used to use a blade of thick  grass between my thumbs, could make it sound like a hare death cry, up at the shoot and the sheep farm the thermal, nv and digital callers have made the job easier but it’s not a given, understanding the land and weather still plays a big part in it, I still like the old way with a lamp and a lip squeak but when it’s work and it matters I’ll take all the help I can get ( afford )

I did the same with a blade of grass , but I put it between the cheeks of my arse , and just waited till I farted, worked quite well , the odd rambler weren’t to impressed tho 

• Haha 9
On 01/03/2023 at 14:48, foxdropper said:

Agree with all that apart from the technology bit  mate .This thermal and NV can make it a bit too easy .Refrained from shooting a fox last night as it came in to about 15m totally unaware of me .The moons partially up but downwind he never had a clue I was there.Fieldcraft , i agree is needed to get the best out the kit but when you’ve mastered that it becomes a formality a fox seen is generally dead .

The days of calling a fox up the lamp were more exciting Id say and daylight to a runner was the tops but I’m more than happy to be doing the pest work in total darkness with no bugger knowing you are there .

Well I am going tonight to see if I can kill a really wary fox before the farmer starts lambing. It won’t come to a call of any description, in fact all a caller does is tell it I am there. I have left bait for it with a camera up a tree to see what sort of pattern it has but it is very hit and miss. I am just going to get tucked up under a tree over looking the bait site and see if it shows. I get a lot of wary foxes on this farm and I believe the reason is they are being called in and run with lurchers not too far away. I know there are a few lads nearby that try to lamp them so inevitably quite a few will escape and be educated at the same time. I will kill it, it is just a matter of when and I hope it is before he loses any livestock.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ianm said:

Well I am going tonight to see if I can kill a really wary fox before the farmer starts lambing. It won’t come to a call of any description, in fact all a caller does is tell it I am there. I have left bait for it with a camera up a tree to see what sort of pattern it has but it is very hit and miss. I am just going to get tucked up under a tree over looking the bait site and see if it shows. I get a lot of wary foxes on this farm and I believe the reason is they are being called in and run with lurchers not too far away. I know there are a few lads nearby that try to lamp them so inevitably quite a few will escape and be educated at the same time. I will kill it, it is just a matter of when and I hope it is before he loses any livestock.

Best of luck with that Ian .

• Like 1

Got similar one myself. It's just tried to kill two peacocks on a little smallholding.

Baiting and camera go down tomorrow. 

Its funny how you can get to know individual animals after you hear and see them a few times.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Got similar one myself. It's just tried to kill two peacocks on a little smallholding.

Baiting and camera go down tomorrow. 

Its funny how you can get to know individual animals after you hear and see them a few times.

Best of luck with it SD .

On 28/02/2023 at 23:16, Blackmag said:

I wonder how many of  you lads could call a fox by hand  that could be taken by a runner if it was legal rather than your fancy gadgets or long range rifles at  150 yards plus ect as from what I see field craft is being replaced by technology which is clear by a lot of posts 

I've always used lip squeaks to mimic a rabbit in distress. That said, technology is technology. Life moves on. I bet the 1st shooters who used ironsights said something similar about scopes. Everybody has the choice of what to use according to what they regard as sporting.

• Like 4
On 02/03/2023 at 19:49, ianm said:

I had one last year there normally a creature of habit and you can normally see them roughly the same time every night in a certain field I got to know his route of enter because there wasn't much signs at the time  but the magpies gave him away after spending a week first light  looking I got to know his pattern  he was a first light job totally light shy good luck Ian 

• Like 2