poor Hare

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once watched a hare shoot it sickened me there's no sport in surrounding a field with folk and flags yet you can't give a hare a sporting chance with one dog  but you did that hare a favour tomo fai

Shot a hare yrs ago, it cried like a baby, I swore id never lift a gun to a hare again and never have, much rather see a chase.

Yip some calling it sport, but each to there own

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, steve66 said:

Went beating on a hare shoot once ...... only once , sooner see them coursed with a sporting chance than shot 

Never been and wouldn’t. From what I’ve seen and heard it’s like shooting fish in a barrel and yet we coursing people are the ones that are called cruel. The ban has without doubt had a huge negative impact on hares. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, TOMO said:

got this poor thing today....straight lined in 10 yard unfortunately. ..however when I got her home and had a proper look ...she had some old damage to both her lower legs and feet..swelled up from each hock to the foot...with holes in both feet...poor thing

20230217_164133.jpg

20230217_164103.jpg

How have those youngsters got on tomo are you happy with them overall..

7 minutes ago, dodger said:

How have those youngsters got on tomo are you happy with them overall..

Yeh there both OK mate...they will both try hard and not bad cover and woodland....obviously there not Hare dogs in reality. ...but it's great fun trying with them on old puss...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, TOMO said:

Yeh there both OK mate...they will both try hard and not bad cover and woodland....obviously there not Hare dogs in reality. ...but it's great fun trying with them on old puss...

Exactly there great fun I have one similar wjat lee bred she's all action and has a gearbox aswell which is a bonus 

12 minutes ago, dodger said:

Exactly there great fun I have one similar wjat lee bred she's all action and has a gearbox aswell which is a bonus 

nice litter that...I would have had one if I hadn't had these two already

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bobtheferret said:

Never been and wouldn’t. From what I’ve seen and heard it’s like shooting fish in a barrel and yet we coursing people are the ones that are called cruel. The ban has without doubt had a huge negative impact on hares. 

Back in the 80s we had a fair bit of coursing permission near Lincoln, was out one day and seen a cart with shot hares going down the lane, must have been 70/80 on there. Real shame.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hares can get myxi  and RVHD, if it gets into the population, it rather than the law, would be the end of coursing in the UK. They've had it in Spain but local clubs reintroduce hares to their ground, few big breeders out there, we wouldn't have that option unfortunately. 

PUBMED.NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV

Myxomatosis is an infectious disease caused by myxoma virus (MYXV; genus Leporipoxvirus)...

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 3
18 hours ago, Bobtheferret said:

A lad was showing me pics of a days hare shooting couple year ago and he really thought it was great sport and really didn't like my response to seeing over 150 brown hares slaughtered in few hours by toffy nosed cnuts ,it's not control but slaughter and they ban a man or two walking the stubble to get couple of runs,

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
On 18/02/2023 at 12:07, Luckee legs said:

Pretty sure I read Wildlife organisations say there's evidence that RHD can infect hares in East Anglia. Current RHD strain which hammered rabbit populations in Thetford forest is a different strain to original

I live on the border to the fens and they plenty hares about and I not see a sick one yet ,young rabbits running about like I not see in a long time so hopefully they do well .

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

A lad was showing me pics of a days hare shooting couple year ago and he really thought it was great sport and really didn't like my response to seeing over 150 brown hares slaughtered in few hours by toffy nosed cnuts ,it's not control but slaughter and they ban a man or two walking the stubble to get couple of runs,

That’s shooting though… the same as 100 plus pidgeons over decoys or a 250 bird day of the pheasants..