Peak age

Few questions just to spark a discussion on the age of average lurchers peak performance, as in when would you say they are truly at their best this is my first runner so just curious? What sort of age do you see them just losing a yard of pace? Any stories of older age 10 or 11+ dogs still knocking stuff over regular? I was thinking that when the time comes in years to come getting another pup on when current runner would be towards end of his best years would be about right to pass the torch on as the new pup reaches 12-18 months ish? Cheers.

It depends how you look at it. Peak fitness i would say 4 to 6 but they also get clever as the get older, I had an old dog who at over 11 would still put stuff in the bag on a regular basis, Even lamping on short grass where he should have been straight lined every time but he learnt to crash the cover after the chase, probably a 50/50 success rate, On hare he would just potter about watching the other dog running then exploit any point where the hare had to cross ditches or through hedges.

depends on your sport....but after 6 there defiantly on the way down...especially when it comes to hares....still good for lamping rabbits and stuff.....but there are loads of variables ....whats in the lurcher ..is it a fast type...is it cloddy and heavy...

there are very few lurchers after 8 that are catching daytime hare REGULAR...on big land....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 to 8 year old and are good workers that's when you get the best out of them they know there job most lurchers will get knocked up through there life and there injuries will start showing older they get they'll  slow down but what they lack in speed theyll make up for it In  fieldcraft 

• Like 6

Hare coursing dogs have the shortest careers.. prime years are 2, 3 and 4.  
lamping dogs tend to be more prone to injuries, so a dog that’s lamped 2/3 times a week, would be doing well if it’s still working after 7/8 years old. My old dog was still catching at 10, but nothing like his younger years.. 

• Like 4

Depends on the cross and how much you put in front of them run them on hard ground and quarry often enough they don't last as long but I have owned edible only dogs that have took gear in there twilight years were knowing how to run gear payed of but on a hole maybe round the 7 year Mark as with us all you can't beat age or experience is some cases 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I think around 3 they are at peak fitness but they still have a lot to learn and compensate for their aging by experience.

5-6 for my sort of bits of everything dogs I had up till a few years ago. Now mainly lamping so prob 3-5 for fitness/coupled with experience.

Cheers, D.

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Some X's take longer to grow than others 

well take my 2 last lurchers , bryn my 1x collie x grey, bryn at 9 months old, had caught 100 rabbits, he just had that knack, his strike, and pace was very good, he still knock over few rabbits 10 year old, he died at 14 year old .Now Big Buck , could catch rabbits at young age similar  bryn , he was the same, ok he wasnt bred just as rabbit dog, but he had good strike and pace for big dog . i say at 3 -4 years old he was on fire, he catch and hold  big things, feck me he bring back foxes to  me lol , when he got 8 year old, he  lost bit of pace. he 10 now he just like a mooch at night for 40 mins, he likes trot out  when the moon up. i not walking right now, i had Hernia Op today, still sore me balls are bruised , got a bloke by me walking him, with is pat bitch, and  our little woody, hoping to get back on track in couple weeks time.  Ray

• Like 5